Windows 7 Ctrl-break does not stop ping

Rusky

Honorable Member
Ctrl+C does not stop ping

Very strange and annoying little issue.

If I have a running ping going I cannot stop it using ctrl+c, it works everywhere else.

Win7 x64

Last edited:
What you say seems to be correct, so what did you use to start the ping? I assume you are doing this in a command prompt window.

What you say seems to be correct, so what did you use to start the ping? I assume you are doing this in a command prompt window.

Yes, in cmd and any ping command
ping 4.2.2.1 -t

The only way I can stop it is by closing the cmd window

oh lol , i see , didnt say it at first n i was like eh

try CTRL + pause/break

there is abutton that says pause and break... try that :p

oh lol , i see , didnt say it at first n i was like eh

try CTRL + pause/break

there is abutton that says pause and break... try that :p

All it does is insert the ping statistics but the ping keeps going.
Just to give you my background, please don't take it as bragging or anything like that but I have been in the IT field for many years, I just can't seem to figure this out lol.

oh its fine, i just dont want to give any informatoin that sounds too complex and confuse people , if you know about IT then excellent... Have you considered making a batch with SET command? then you at least you can define the address and then output the results to a text file ?

oh its fine, i just dont want to give any informatoin that sounds too complex and confuse people , if you know about IT then excellent... Have you considered making a batch with SET command? then you at least you can define the address and then output the results to a text file ?

That's more complicated that I want to go with getting ctrl+c working, it's nothing critical I just don't want to keep having to close my command prompt when I get a running ping going.

I'm just wondering what could possibly made it stop working. I know it's not OS related because it works on any other Win 7 x64 Ultimate that I've used it on. If there isn't a setting or registry hack that anyone knows about then it must be software related. I believe I saw it mentioned somewhere that anti-virus could be the cause, I use Vipre myself.

You have tried that key combination in other circumstances and it does work?

Do you run anything that might be altering a specific key, possibly under specific circumstances?

You might try going to Control Panel - Ease of Access - Make keyboard easier to use and turn on Sticky Keys. Perhaps being able to hit the keys one at a time might help, in case there is a timing issue.

New keyboard driver?

Edit: Does it make a difference if the system has been asleep or after a cold boot?

Last edited:
scripts are easy to make , but if thats the goal then fine.

you can always replace the -t to -n X

X = the amount you want to ping by

so
ping wwww.google.com -n 20
would ping 20 times then SHOULD STOP

You have tried that key combination in other circumstances and it does work?

Do you run anything that might be altering a specific key, possibly under specific circumstances?

You might try going to Control Panel - Ease of Access - Make keyboard easier to use and turn on Sticky Keys. Perhaps being able to hit the keys one at a time might help, in case there is a timing issue.

New keyboard driver?

Edit: Does it make a difference if the system has been asleep or after a cold boot?

Yes, ctrl+c/v does it's indented copy/paste.
Nothing altering the keys and I can't image it would just alter the behavior for cmd and nothing else.
I really don't think it's a driver issue, again it would affect other things.
I don't every put my PC to sleep/hibernate, it's always after a cold boot or restart.

scripts are easy to make , but if thats the goal then fine.
you can always replace the -t to -n X

X = the amount you want to ping by

so
ping wwww.google.com -n 20
would ping 20 times then SHOULD STOP

Don't get my wrong, I LOVE scripts, I have an entire folder of them.
Yes, using the -n switch will stop it after a set amount of times but I was hoping to find the root cause of the issue.

I know it's a very bizarre issue and fully expect not to find a fix for it :p

for me personally the only thing i can think of is if powershell is used?

other members may have other ideas please wait

for me personally the only thing i can think of is if powershell is used?

other members may have other ideas please wait

Nope, not using powershell.

Oh I'll wait and keep searching but I haven't found anything yet so I'm not hopefully...keep the suggestions coming though :D

Back