Windows 7 Customize Word 2010 File Open

gogreen

Honorable Member
Is there a way to customize what appears when I click "Open" (or "File" - "Open") in Word 2010? I used to like the My Places Bar in the previous version I used because I need to open only a few folders in one directory--I don't need all the other stuff that appears on "Open," but I'd like at least to add the folders I want to reach easily. Thanks.

Solution
In Microsoft Word 2010, you can customize the locations that appear in the "Open" dialog box by modifying the Places Bar. Here's how you can customize the Places Bar in Word 2010:
1. Open Microsoft Word 2010 on your computer.
2. Click on the File menu in the top left corner of the Word window.
3. Select Open from the menu options. This will open the "Open" dialog box.
4. In the "Open" dialog box, you will see the default Places Bar on the left side, which contains commonly used folders like Recent Places, Desktop, Libraries, etc.
5. To customize the Places Bar, you need to make changes in the Windows Registry. Before proceeding, it's important to note that modifying the Registry can potentially harm your system if done...
In Microsoft Word 2010, you can customize the locations that appear in the "Open" dialog box by modifying the Places Bar. Here's how you can customize the Places Bar in Word 2010:
1. Open Microsoft Word 2010 on your computer.
2. Click on the File menu in the top left corner of the Word window.
3. Select Open from the menu options. This will open the "Open" dialog box.
4. In the "Open" dialog box, you will see the default Places Bar on the left side, which contains commonly used folders like Recent Places, Desktop, Libraries, etc.
5. To customize the Places Bar, you need to make changes in the Windows Registry. Before proceeding, it's important to note that modifying the Registry can potentially harm your system if done incorrectly. Therefore, it's recommended to back up your Registry before making any changes.
6. Here are the steps to customize the Places Bar:
- Press the Windows key + R on your keyboard to open the Run dialog box.
- Type regedit in the Run dialog box and press Enter. This will open the Registry Editor.
- Navigate to the following Registry key:
Code:
     HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Common\Open Find\Places
(Note: Change 14.0 to 15.0 if you are using Word 2013 or 16.0 for Word 2016)
- In the right pane, you will see Place0, Place1, Place2, Place3, Place4. These correspond to the slots on the Places Bar.
- Right-click on any of the Place keys (e.g., Place0) and select Modify.
- Enter the path of the folder you want to add as a value data for that key.
- Repeat the same process for other Place keys to add more folders to the Places Bar.
7. Once you have added the desired folders to the Places Bar, close the Registry Editor and restart Microsoft Word 2010.
8. Now, when you click on File -> Open in Word 2010, you should see your customized Places Bar with the folders you added for quick access.
Remember to be cautious while editing the Registry, as incorrect changes can cause issues with your system. If you are uncomfortable with modifying the Registry, you may want to seek assistance from someone with experience in handling Registry edits.

Solution
Back