Windows 7 cygwin can not run on windows 7 anymore ?

phamtuanchip

i tried setup cygwin to run and use maven 2 to build some projects, but it can not run, only stay still with command line window, does anyone have got the same ?

Unable to run Cygwin X

I've installed Win 7 build 7000 and was able to put on Cygwin with X. However I am unable to run any X apps even as administrator. Has anyone been able to run X?

tia,

- Joe

Hi there
I didn't have any trouble with it either -- I tried running an old MVS mainframe emulator (Hercules) on the PC with some old 3270 - actually 3278/3279 (4 color IBM terminals) terminal emulation . This needs cygwin to work and the GUI (X application) worked fine.
Worked a treat.
Not sure what the problem is --perhaps you can include some screen dumps.
cheers
jimbo

programs dont work

I've tried useing Nero and MyDVD on W7 and it wont allow them to work due to compatability issues.........frustrating!

I'm using windows 7 build 7077 and cygwin doesnt seem to work.
I've installed the correct packages and when I go to cmd and type in: set path="c:\cygwin\bin" then gcc it displays that its not recognizable.
So is it true that windows 7 can't support cygwin?

insred of via set path try and change to the command path directly and then type gcc.
I haven't used gcc under cygwin but other apps work such as my MVS mainframe emulator.

incidently typing cd o:\ for example still leaves you in C:\users\username

You need to type o:\ for example now.

Cheers
jimbo

I've tried useing Nero and MyDVD on W7 and it wont allow them to work due to compatability issues.........frustrating!

Yes Nero works on windows 7 are you using an older Nero version that just may be the problem ?

Good luck with that :)

Link Removed due to 404 Error Link Removed due to 404 Error

Last edited:
insred of via set path try and change to the command path directly and then type gcc.
I haven't used gcc under cygwin but other apps work such as my MVS mainframe emulator.

incidently typing cd o:\ for example still leaves you in C:\users\username

You need to type o:\ for example now.

Cheers
jimbo

i dont quite understand what i should do

Yes Nero works on windows 7 are you using an older Nero version that just may be the problem ?

Good luck with that :)

Link Removed due to 404 Error Link Removed due to 404 Error

I have also had much sucess with Nero (8 Ultra Edition to be exact) on both the Windows 7 Beta Build 7000 and the Windows 7 RC build 7100.. :)

Cygwin Working (mostly) Under Win7 Build 7100

I've done a clean install of Cygwin, and it works for me. Here's the output of

Code:
> uname -a
 CYGWIN_NT-6.1-WOW64 mambo-5 1.5.25(0.156/4/2) 2008-06-12 19:34 i686 Cygwin
I do have a problem with filename expansion (aka globbing). For instance, "ls" in my home directory work, but "ls *" generates the following error message:

Code:
> ls *
ls: cannot access *: No such file or directory
Has anyone else seen this problem?

The current cygwin released version (1.7.*, not the old 1.5*) runs fine on Win7. I'm guessing your problem is that your home directory in /etc/passwd is set to /home/<username>, and /home is a directory under /cygwin.

You can either fiddle around with junctions and make /home point to the right place for the windows /user structure, but if you don't understand what this means I wouldn't recommend that.

Your other choice would be to change your home directory in /etc/passwd. Try the following in your bash shell:

cd /etc
vi passwd

then find the line with your user account and change /home/<username> to be /cygdrive/c/Users/<username>/Documents

write the file :)wq!), close the bash shell and open a new one.

Back