Date & Time settings

Lee K

Each time I boot into Windows, the time is always misconfigured, and I need to manually sync it in the settings. How can I automate the sync process on each boot?

Solution
How to know/get the available time zone list? I'm on UTC+7
It has been super busy over here, as I'm sure you can imagine, given the CrowdStrike situation.

Code:
Get-TimeZone -ListAvailable

This will assist.

The issue with your time desyncing though might not be resolved by this if its happened repeatedly after setting the correct time and timezone. It could be a bad CMOS battery or some other component. Try setting it this way and see if it happens again.
Each time I boot into Windows, the time is always misconfigured, and I need to manually sync it in the settings. How can I automate the sync process on each boot?
Open Windows PowerShell as admin (Right-click to run as admin).
Set-Time "12:00 AM"
Set-TimeZone "Eastern Standard Time"
w32tm /resync

How to know/get the available time zone list? I'm on UTC+7
It has been super busy over here, as I'm sure you can imagine, given the CrowdStrike situation.

Code:
Get-TimeZone -ListAvailable

This will assist.

The issue with your time desyncing though might not be resolved by this if its happened repeatedly after setting the correct time and timezone. It could be a bad CMOS battery or some other component. Try setting it this way and see if it happens again.

Solution
Thanks for the replies. I followed your instructions to run PowerShell as an administrator.

Code:
PS C:\Windows\system32> Set-Time "12:00 AM"
Set-Time : The term 'Set-Time' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program.
Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct and try again.
At line:1 char:1
+ Set-Time "12:00 AM"
+ ~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (Set-Time:String) [], CommandNotFoundException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : CommandNotFoundException
PS C:\Windows\system32> Set-TimeZone "SE Asia Standard Time"
PS C:\Windows\system32> w32tm /resync
The following error occurred: The service has not been started. (0x80070426)
PS C:\Windows\system32> Net start w32time
The Windows Time service is starting.
The Windows Time service was started successfully.
PS C:\Windows\system32> w32tm /resync
Sending resync command to local computer
The command completed successfully.

Let's see if this works or not; I will inform you next time.

It could be a bad CMOS battery or some other component.

I believe the CMOS is healthy because Linux has no problem with desync issues, and the UEFI dashboard shows the correct time.

references:
- blog

Set-Date not Set-Time ... oops

Set-Date -Date "7/21/2024 11:00 AM"

It seems the desync issue was solved! After rebooting, it showed the correct date and time, even though I didn't execute the Set-Date option.

Thanks for your help