Windows 7 Define New Keyboard Shortcut?

Cardinal System

Honorable Member
I need to create a keyboard shortcut that will shutdown the computer, I already tried the method presented in this third-party project (Link Removed), and worked at first, but then stopped working; and I couldn't use it on other desktops.

How do I create a new keyboard shortcut without installing new software? or is there already an existing shortcut?

Solution
I don't know that there is a way to define new shortcuts, but you could navigate to C:\Windows\System32. Locate shutdown.exe and create a shortcut on the desktop. Open the properties of the shortcut and add -s -t 1 to the target field and assign a shortcut. That should accomplish what you want. The shortcut keys will work as long as it's on your desktop or pinned to the taskbar.
There sorta are... but it requires multiple keystrokes. ALT+F4 UP ENTER DOWN DOWN ENTER or something like that.
If you are looking for a 3rd party tool, use Auto Hot Key. You can make AHK scripts for executing specific programmes, for example, shutdown.exe -s -p. Good luck! :up:

If you're at the desktop Alt + F4 will bring up the shutdown/restart menu it should be on shutdown by default so you only need to press enter after

There sorta are... but it requires multiple keystrokes. ALT+F4 UP ENTER DOWN DOWN ENTER or something like that.
If you are looking for a 3rd party tool, use Auto Hot Key. You can make AHK scripts for executing specific programmes, for example, shutdown.exe -s -p. Good luck! :up:

If you're at the desktop Alt + F4 will bring up the shutdown/restart menu it should be on shutdown by default so you only need to press enter after
Right, I knew these both; but I wanted to make it so all I had to do is something like Ctrl + Alt + Z or similar and it would force a shutdown, kinda like Ctrl + Alt + Delete, except you don't have to click anything after using the shortcut.

This is a computer, so I'm sure is some way or another to add a shortcut without any new software.

I don't know that there is a way to define new shortcuts, but you could navigate to C:\Windows\System32. Locate shutdown.exe and create a shortcut on the desktop. Open the properties of the shortcut and add -s -t 1 to the target field and assign a shortcut. That should accomplish what you want. The shortcut keys will work as long as it's on your desktop or pinned to the taskbar.

Solution
Back