Windows 7 Defrag and Error Checking not Working

gjbnh

Subject says it all. On a fresh clean install of 7100 neither Defrag or error checking run. Sigh

I am having the same problem. Although there is a scheduled task for disk defragmentation it does not appear to run. There is also a scheduled task for a Windows Defender scan but this doesn't seem to run either. In the "Last Run" column of both tasks it just says "Never", even though they should have run. I tried creating a new scheduled task to run a disk defrag but it didn't seem to trigger (it was not set to wait for the computer to be idle). Some scheduled tasks do appear to be working, however, as they have a time in their last run time column. Does anyone know why some of the tasks aren't running? I have all the appropriate services running. The only thing I have done is turn off system restore, but surely this shouldn't affect scheduled tasks...

I would check the UAC settings in the Control Panel, that's what it sounds like to me.

Control Panel | User Accounts | Change User Account Control Settings

Maybe try to lower the bar to the bottom, reboot, and try again?

how would that affect it? surely the default scheduled tasks should run with the default uac setting.

Changing the UAC seems to have solve the error checking, but Windows Defrag still won't boot.

The idea here is Not to find an alternative program, but to toubleshoot the OS so MS canfix it before RTM. We really don't want another Vista. Thanks for the suggestion tho, I'll check it out.

Does it work if you right click on your disk, go to properties and run the disk defrag that way - or is this just a problem with the scheduled task for these programs?

I was able to run disk check and disk defrag, but I havent tried to run them with scheduled tasks.

If you haven't tinkered with any settings than why wouldn't it be working?... ;) Doesn't make alot of sense.. It works perfectly fine on all 5 of my pc's.. :) I've tweaked 3 of the 5 and it still works.. What exactly is it not doing? As in do you get an error reported or does it just freeze up and do nothing at all?

Diskdefrag does not working either as a command or off the properties tab. No error message appears. It appears to briefly boot or trys to boot then nothing. System appears to remain stable.

I am using a Toshiba Laptop with Windows 7 and i have run disk defrag and disk cleanup without any problems, havent tried error check yet tho...

I'm just having a problem with the scheduled tasks not running, if I start them manually there is no problem. But they won't start automatically. E.g. when I just started Windows Defender, it was complaining that the computer hasn't been scanned for 21 days and recommending a daily scheduled scan... But there IS a daily scheduled scan, it is the default one which is preinstalled, it just seems to be nonfunctional. It is set to run at 5:36am, all the default settings are intact (they are greyed out so cannot be changed), e.g. it is set to run ASAP if scheduled start is missed, and everything shows as being enabled and ready, the next run time even changes every day to show to next day's date, however the task simply does not run and under the last run time it just says "never". Ditto for the disk defrag task. Seems quite mysterious.

One of the first things I do when I install a fresh copy of Win 7 is disable the scheduled tasks.. such as Defrag, Windows Defender, etc.. ;) I just prefer to run them when I want to run them rather than when my computer sees fit.. ;) To each his own though..

I used to take that view also, but since the tasks run in the background and only when the computer is idle I find that it is more convenient... when you run the tasks manually you have to wait for them to finish before you can do anything...

I used to take that view also, but since the tasks run in the background and only when the computer is idle I find that it is more convenient... when you run the tasks manually you have to wait for them to finish before you can do anything...

Not if you have good hardware you don't.. ;) (Example: a dual or quad core cpu will let you have a virus scan going, a spyware scan going, an adware scan going, a malware scan going and still have some cpu left over to use.. ;) ) Now on a single core cpu yes, you would have to wait for the scan(s) to finish before doing anything else.. but not when you have a dual or quad core rig.. :)

Back