Windows 7 Defrag Win 7, how?

You'll notice the defrag in Windows 7 is done much quicker and seemingly much more efficiently as well.. ;) I really like it over XP or Vista's..

Windows 7 defrag

The disk defrag in windows 7 is very slow (as it has been in every version of windows) and starting in vista microsoft also removed the drive analysis info (thinking no one would miss it). So I suggest you download "Defraggler" from Defraggler - Defragment your files! it has the ability to only defrag fragmented files (fast) or the whole drive. it also displays the drive analysis. It's fully compatible with Windows 7.:)

use the free auslogics defraggers

The best defraggers out there happen to be free. Auslogics Disk Defragger and Auslogics Registry Defragger are superior in every way, from the top tech company in Oz, and did I mention FREE. You can find the disk defragger and the registry defragger on "download.com Auslogics defrag" add the ccleaner and you have perfection,

Last edited:
The disk defrag in windows 7 is very slow (as it has been in every version of windows) and starting in vista microsoft also removed the drive analysis info (thinking no one would miss it). So I suggest you download \"Defraggler\" from Defraggler - Defragment your files! it has the ability to only defrag fragmented files (fast) or the whole drive. it also displays the drive analysis. It's fully compatible with Windows 7.

I strongly disagree.. The defragmenter in Windows 7 is NOT slow. It is similar to the one in Windows Vista however there is a status indicator in Win 7's.. which is welcomed back.. I hated not knowing how long it was going to take in Vista.. ;) I honestly don't think it's very slow.. unless you've got something wrong with your HDD.. My main PC has a 500GB and 160GB HDD and Windows 7 defrags both in under 7 minutes.. The 500GB has about 234GB's free space as a partition on it is where I store my data files and the 160GB has about 34GB's free as I use a partition on that one to install games to.. so it's not like my drive's are empty either.. Under 7 minutes is NOT slow.. I admit Win 7's defrag may not be the most efficient one out there but it gets the job done and gets it done quickly... :)

If yours is particularly slow, there are ways to avoid that problem.. ;) Using partitions is a good start...

I agree with Radenight.
Microsoft have removed the shadow copy from 7, which, whilst it was a safety feature, caused a lot of negarive feedback.
Whilst the 7 defrag does not show the pretty, but useless, picture of the little blocks moving around, it operates at the same speed as the one that was originally in XP. Try it on a freash install if you doubt.
The 7, and Vista, defrag operates in a way which is particularly suitable for the OS. It also operates on a very low priority, so you can carry on with your normal work. Once you have completed the initial defrag, which can take a while, as it did in XP, if you then set it on a weekly schedule, you will not even notice its presence.
If you are interested in the full story, read this:
Engineering Windows 7 : Disk Defragmentation – Background and Engineering the Windows 7 Improvements

Back
Top Bottom