Windows 7 Dell Precision 670 running Win7 won't boot after memory upgrade

liongate

My Dell Precision 670 will not boot Windows 7 after upgrading the memory to 8GB. Configuration follows:

*BIOS A06
*2 x 4GB SIMMS in slots 1 and 2. These are correct WS670/4GB PC3200 EEC registered modules as recommended.
*memory fan is installed
*3 SCSI drives with Adaptec 7901 RAID controller.

I've got a dual boot setup, and the system boots and runs fine from the alternate OS (Win XP x64) just fine. The BIOS lists the memory as installed and shows no errors or problems. A memory test indicates that the memory is okay. When I try to do a boot repair from Win7, the Win7 OS is not listed and installing the correct RAID and SCSI drivers from the repair window does not make it visible. The partition is not, in fact, visible from the repair tool. When I put the old memory back in (4 x 512mb SIMMS in slots 1,2,3,4) the system boots and runs fine with Windows 7. What's up with this??

I flashed the system with the A07 BIOS this morning and will try again tonight to see if that made the difference. I will post the results here. I welcome any other suggestions.:confused:

It is the 64 bit Windows 7 Professional version. Yes, I took it out and put the old memory back and it's fine. Faulty memory doesn't seem likely, since it works fine with the alternate boot on x64. I did the memory test and it tested fine. I'm puzzled.

My Dell Precision 670 will not boot Windows 7 after upgrading the memory to 8GB. Configuration follows:

*BIOS A06
*2 x 4GB SIMMS in slots 1 and 2. These are correct WS670/4GB PC3200 EEC registered modules as recommended.
*memory fan is installed
*3 SCSI drives with Adaptec 7901 RAID controller.

I've got a dual boot setup, and the system boots and runs fine from the alternate OS (Win XP x64) just fine. The BIOS lists the memory as installed and shows no errors or problems. A memory test indicates that the memory is okay. When I try to do a boot repair from Win7, the Win7 OS is not listed and installing the correct RAID and SCSI drivers from the repair window does not make it visible. The partition is not, in fact, visible from the repair tool. When I put the old memory back in (4 x 512mb SIMMS in slots 1,2,3,4) the system boots and runs fine with Windows 7. What's up with this??

I flashed the system with the A07 BIOS this morning and will try again tonight to see if that made the difference. I will post the results here. I welcome any other suggestions.:confused:

Is your M/B set up to handle more than 4gb's of memory?

HI there. I have a Dell Precision 670 also. You must plug in a 'Memory Fan and Shroud' or compatible fan that plugs into the motherboard if you want to use more than 4Gb of memory, otherwise you get an error message and are told to install one or remove some ram.

Go to this page and scroll down to the title 'Memory Fan and Shroud' to read more.
Link Removed due to 404 Error

Go to this page for a basic overview of the Dell Precision 670 machine.
Link Removed due to 404 Error

I hope this of some help to you.:razz:

I know this is an older January post, but in case someone comes across this excellent info, there is another post about exactly which jumper to use here: Need help finding better CPU fans!!! - Overclockers Forums, it's the grumperfish reply, talking about overclocking and fans, but the result is the same since I'm not interested in overclocking my 670's.

I got lucky, down in the parts bin in the basement, I had an old defunct Dell 8400 Desktop that I scavenged the cpu fan from. It has the correct connector for the 670 memory fan socket on the motherboard so I just plugged it right in and it fired right up. It's connector #28 on the motherboard right in front of the memory slots, the one toward the front of the box, not the back end.

Jesse

Back