Windows 7 Dell win 7 Upgrade for HP?

aleicgrant

I have a Dell Win 7 upgrade disc that I no longer need and want to install on my HP/

I got a full retail one that I installed on the Dell.

Will this disc install the upgrade in the HP?

thanks

I'm glad someone posted this, as I also have a windows 7 upgrade disc from dell. Its for our laptop we just got in October.

I just bought a new HP laptop for my parents for christmas, and I was thinking about using that disc to just whipe it and get all the stupid "bloat" ware off of it. On that note I do have a question: I know with Windows XP you could do this and it would work.

Can I just do a clean install from the upgrade disc, and use the key on the side, or are the key's hard coded into the disc? I know with XP all discs were the same, only the key was unique. I did this many times on XP machines to whipe them clean!

I ask because my friend had tried it a year ago with Vista home premium on his laptop, and said it wouldn't take his key.

I hope I'm understanding you properly...........

If your asking if you can install the same DVD on 2 machines, it will probably not work due to Microsoft's activation process.

You can't do a "clean" install from XP anyway.

Well its an upgrade copy but it will boot and give you the option to do a clean install. yes the same dvd on 2 machines, but with different product keys. What I'm saying is booting the laptop with the upgrade disc, installing windows, and when it asks for the key, I flip the laptop over, get the key off the COA label and then use that instead of the included key with the disc!

See, I've done this with XP, but never with Vista or 7. See the way it was with XP, is all the discs were exactly the same, and only the product key seperated them. What you actually paid for when you bought a copy of XP was the product key.

No I just bought the HP its got a Windows 7 home premium 64-bit license on it. Actually the point of doing this is so that it IS legal, and it has its proper product key. Anyway the upgrade disc is Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit upgrade.

Basically its like this: All retail computers come loaded with Norten Anti-Virus, Wild Tangent, HP or Dell support BS, America On-line Free trial, easy internet sign up, etc and the list goes on forever. You fire one up, and it runs like a snail because its got 200 running processes from all the pre-installed garbage. The reason I want to do this is so instead of having to go through the OS and uninstall all the crap, it would already be gone!

Also It seems performance is always better if you just havce the OS freshly installed with no garbage on it. Thtas why I want to do this.

You see at the factory (and i used to work for HP) they pre-install a compressed version of the OS on all the machines. Its all the same version and doesn't require activation or anything. Then they just stick the liscense on for whatever copy of windows it has.

What I'm saying at least with XP you could just stick any XP disc in, do a clean install, and then use the product key from the liscense on the machine, and it will work. And then when you get into windows for the first time it'll ask you to activate it and it WILL activate because it has the right product key that matches the right hardware in that machine when it was built.

As far as i know this is all perfectly legal. Its illegal to use a pirated key, but in this case you just using the key that was on the machine to begin with!

Basically its like this: All retail computers come loaded with Norten Anti-Virus, Wild Tangent, HP or Dell support BS, America On-line Free trial, easy internet sign up, etc and the list goes on forever. You fire one up, and it runs like a snail because its got 200 running processes from all the pre-installed garbage. The reason I want to do this is so instead of having to go through the OS and uninstall all the crap, it would already be gone!

I understand this, but they usually come witth some good software.

Mine came with Cyberlink Blue-ray player, Power Producer, Power2Go (DVD/Blue-ray burning), Creative Mediasource, etc.

Theres way's around that too.... As far as I know if you make Restore discs for your compute,r do a clean install, then stick the restore disc in, you can restore whatever programs you like.

Sorry but that;'s nort correct.

that will insatll the old OS back if he upgrades his one computer to Windows 7.

Anyway I fired up the HP, removed all the crap off of it, and it runs like a dream... I won't be re-installing Windows 7 on it.

Back