Windows 7 Digital Camera

I hope that I don't end up regretting it, but for better or worse, I just placed the order for the black XF-1. It should arrive tomorrow.

Camera arrived...glad to say there is no problem with it yet. A question has arisen regarding the battery...the manual says that the battery needs to be fully discharged for extended storage, but doesn't say how to discharge it. Do you know of a safe and practical way to do so? Also while on the battery, I thought it might be good to have a spare, but looking at the listings on Amazon and eBay, it appears that not all NP50 batteries are the same. One ad on eBay has a model selection drop down field, with a variety of models available, but not the XF-1. The pictures all look exactly the same, except some generic ones. Is there really any difference otherwise?

I'm looking to buy a 32GB memory card for this camera. I checked the compatibility list:

http://www.fujifilm.com/support/digital_cameras/compatibility/card/x/

and I don't understand the differences in them, other than size and brand. What is the difference between SD, SDHC & SDXC?

The last 2 letters (**HC & **XC) only corresponds to the capacity. Up to 32GB is SDHC (where **HD simply means "high capacity). Up to 64GB is SDXC (for "eXtra(high) capacity"). XF1 can handle all three. What matters most is the Class # which indicates read/write speed. As much as possible, get a Class 10 which is most suitable for HD videos. If you don't plan do use it for videos, Class 4 is good enough. Taking videos with Class 4 to 6 memory cards often causes a write error.

But before you buy an SDHC or SDXC, make sure that your card reader is capable of reading it. These letters are for card reader classification.Some older card readers are not capable of reading SDXC. If a card reader is marked as SDHC, it means it can read both SD and SDHC but not SDXC. But if it's only marked as SD, it won't read HC and XC.

cardreader.jpg

Last edited:
I've run into one problem right off the bat...setting the time and date. This was the first thing that appeared when the camera was first turned on, but I hit the wrong button, and it disappeared. According to the manual, it can be reset at any time via the setup menu, but the only menu I've found access to is the shooting menu. Would you explain where the setup menu is?

That did it, thanks. For some reason I still don't understand, I couldn't reach that portion of the menu selection on the left column, because it was grayed out. But it is set now.

I normally use Adobe Sketchbook with stylus pen & graphic tablet on my desktop PC, but this one (above) was done on my Win 8 tablet and I used Paint.

Interesting. Never having even been in a one, I've always thought of subways being nothing more than tunnels with tracks, but those images illustrate that they are much more.

Last edited:
Interesting. Never having even been in a subway, I've always thought of subways being nothing more than tunnels with tracks, but those images illustrate that they are much more.

Because that is an underground station with the subway running through it.

Is your engineering limited to only the design aspect, or do you also deal with the standards with which things are built by?

EDIT: I'm guessing that they go hand in hand...huh?

Is your engineering limited to only the design aspect, or do you also deal with the standards with which things are built by?

EDIT: I'm guessing that they go hand in hand...huh?

There is a company design standards. There is local standards based on where the project is going to be built. And there is also client standards. Client standards govern. Like on this subway project, our client is the city government. And they have a established standards for building design.

Can you recommend a book or tutorial for a person that is essentially ignorant of the basics of photography? I once knew a lot more than I do now, but have forgotten most of that. The camera's manual is fairly good for learning how to operate the camera, but not on how to decide to operate it.

Photography is about light. And depending on the amount of light available, you have to make adjustments between aperture, shutter speed and ISO settings. Here's a 15min video:

Thanks, that brings back some memories. I think I'm just going to have to fiddle around with it to really get a handle on it. My next acquisition is going to be a very small tripod, because I've misplaced the one that I have, and am not inclined to tear the apartment apart to find it. All that I will probably use it for is as a tabletop/desktop stand for macros, so I guess it doesn't really make any difference which one I choose...does it?

Back