Windows 10 Disable powercfg.sys to reclaim HDD/SDD space

ragnarok1968

I thought for those willing to regain their SSD/HDD space, could use this method by a user at neowin.net.

the sum of his post:

remember chapples, once your happy dont forget to do a disk cleanup to remove the old install files to reclaim 20+Gb on C.

oh and ive spotted its re-enabled hibernation file on both systems here and plopped a lovely 3.7Gb hibernation.sys file.....quick cmd adm prompt fixes that
default_wink.png

for those unsure (like theyd be on here but who knows)

make sure hibernation is disabled in your power profile, then

run cmd as admin

type powercfg.exe -h off

hit enter

close cmd

reclaim disk space that = 75% of your sys ram ;)

**note this will disable fast start also.

Trouble is it disables 'fast start up' (different to fast boot) as it needs the hibernation file to work. I much prefer mine enabled.

Last edited:
I thought for those willing to regain their SSD/HDD space, could use this method by a user at neowin.net.

the sum of his post:
I like hibernate. SSDs have come down immensely in price, and my 256 gb is just under half full.
I decided to move all my user files and data to 2 tb hard drive during my last install, through a series of symlinks (yes windows supports this!), although changing the default location of the User folders would be arguably as effective, and much simpler.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

I don't think I've ever used hibernate. Especially now with an SSD my system is up in 10 seconds and I don't need a 32GB hibernate file on my system.

I don't think I've ever used hibernate. Especially now with an SSD my system is up in 10 seconds and I don't need a 32GB hibernate file on my system.

well by default it is turned "on" which means it creates a system file that by my eye calculations, recovered some 12.5 GB's on my 128GB PCI-E Gen 3 SSD. It is my system OS drive and I have a 1TB SATA HDD as my apps and personal files. If I ever have to reinstall, it just installs and overwrites the old install and my HDD is safe.

But that shutting down my hibernation is a plus on my side with my system.

I understand why many users dislike hibernation.
Personally, although I have an SSD, I like to keep it on.

I run Acronis True Image to back up my SSD nightly to a Backup (internal) HD once a week. I use ATI to backup data, programs from Data HD to Backup HD once a week. I keep three sets of one full backup and four incremental backups.

Later in the week i use SyncBack Free to synch these backups to my NAS. I run a script to hibernate again when done.

This all happens at night. Both SyncBack and ATI require that the PC be on, or hibernating, or suspended. SyncBack requires that my windows profile is loaded. I have chosen hibernation as my part of my backup strategy.

I do it for space saving. my Os drive is only 128GB and the MSi usb drive, to install Windows 10 takes most of that up with drivers and stuff

I am still on Win7. Might consider Win 10 next build, or may just switch to Ubuntu.

You might want to consider a larger SSD. Even 512s are reasonable. Newegg has a samsung EVO 512 on sale for $150.

Back