Windows 8 Disable the desktop mode in Windows 8.1

GoGetIt

Hi,

For one of the requirement I am working on, I need to disable the desktop mode completely for end user so that only metro mode is visible and user access apps through tiles only. Also, user should not be able to enable desktop mode back in any way. For this I think we need to disable the access to certain features and policies on the system (like registry, group policy ect).
Any pointers in this regards is really appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Hi, GoGetIt! Welcome to Windows Forum!
Basically you need to create 2 accounts on the system..an Administrator one that's Password Protected, and another that's a Limited Account!

1. Open Parental Controls by clicking the Start button
    4f6cbd09-148c-4dd8-b1f2-48f232a2fd33_818.jpg
    , clicking Control Panel, and then, under User Accounts and Family Safety, clicking Set up parental controls for any user.‌
    18abb370-ac1e-4b6b-b663-e028a75bf05b_48.jpg
    If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

2. Click the name of the person you want to prevent from using specific programs.

3. Under Parental Controls, click On, enforce current settings.

4. Click Block specific programs.

5. Click Person's name‌ can only use the programs I allow.

6. Select the programs that you want to allow. If the program you want doesn't appear in the list, click Browse to locate the program, that's how you can block Registry and other programs!
Now, for disabling the Desktop Mode..you can't! But you can unpin it from the Start Menu!

• close the desktop button on the left hand side (might need to open a Metro app before you can right-click to close)

z9RPg.png

• remove (unpin) the Desktop tile

zSm2T.png
However, even after doing this, you can still access the Desktop by:

• searching for it

ldLV7.png

• right-clicking in the bottom-left hand corner

acVqi.png

• selecting Start in the Charms bar

• Windows+D

Back