Windows 7 Disk boot failure...

PaintballFreak

Ok I find this to be a pretty weird problem. I have w7 RC 64bit installed successfully. My primary drive is first on the boot list of hdds and my current boot order is removable, cd-rom, hard drive and I have other boot methods disabled (had to because it was trying to do a network boot before). Basically, it boots fine into windows as long as cd-rom is before the hdd in boot order AND I have the w7 RC 64 boot cd in the drive. If the CD is not in the drive, or I move hdd before the cd-rom in the boot order, I get the following error:

"DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER"

Is this a MBR issue and is there an easy way to fix it? Do I need to reinstall windows 7?

Ok I find this to be a pretty weird problem. I have w7 RC 64bit installed successfully. My primary drive is first on the boot list of hdds and my current boot order is removable, cd-rom, hard drive and I have other boot methods disabled (had to because it was trying to do a network boot before). Basically, it boots fine into windows as long as cd-rom is before the hdd in boot order AND I have the w7 RC 64 boot cd in the drive. If the CD is not in the drive, or I move hdd before the cd-rom in the boot order, I get the following error:

"DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER"

Is this a MBR issue and is there an easy way to fix it? Do I need to reinstall windows 7?
I would boot to the Windows 7 Install Disk and try a repair.

Me Too!

I'm currently having the same issue. I did notice that Win 7 is having a hard time shutting itself down. There's a service or something that's running that says it's incomplete. I'll try and get more details, I have a feeling it's missing a file when it's improperly shutting down. I've always chosen the option to force the program to close.

I would boot to the Windows 7 Install Disk and try a repair.

I to have the same problem (windows 7, build 7100, x32),
My boot order is 100%, get the BOOT DISK FAILURE - INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER if the dvd isn't in. I can only imagine some system files are missing.

@ what spd has the .iso been burnt to media? If not burnt @ a slow spd problems can result.

Drew

I fail to see how that affect the boot up, if it was a bad burn the whole system would be messes, although i burnt it at about 4megs/second (about 1\3 of max)

Fixed it...

Well, after attempting a repair from the install disk...I determined that the problem had to be my boot order in the bios. Low and behold that fixed my problem, it now boots fine without the Win7 disk. I had pulled a storage drive to put in another box. I didn't really think that pulling that drive would effect anything since it was a backup/storage drive, but apparently my mobo didn't like it so much. Hope this helps someone...thanks everyone.

Having similar problems with the release version!

Hi,

I happily received my copy of Windows 7 on Monday. I have formatted my Hard drive and performed a clean installation. I get the problem described above - DISK BOOT FAILURE etc etc.

This obviously isn't a problem burning the disk - it is from Microsoft!

I have two hard drives (One SATA One IDE) Windows is installed on the SATA drive. I have played around with changing the boot priority but to no avail.

Anyone have any ideas?

I can format and reinstall, but would be happier if I did it in the knowledge that the same problem wouldn't happen again!

Back