Windows 7 Disk Management (diskpart.mmc) Problems

lukewin7x64

Hello to anyone reading this.

I have a Win 7 64 bit 2012 laptop (HP).
My main disk (A Toshiba 320GB) is currently a Dynamic.
I want to shrink my Win 7 Partition (Simple) to make room for Linux Mint.
Whenever I try to shrink, it can only shrink by about a Gig, and it says "The partition cannot shrink beyond the point where unmovable files are located."
A quick look at Defraggler said everything.
It was completely unfragmented, but the MFT Reserved Space and Unmovable Files were located at the very end.

You don't need to shrink the partition in Windows. Boot to the Mint installer and select "Install along side Windows" it will give you the option of resizing the Windows partition

You should also know that we recently have had other forum users encounter difficulties with W10+Mint dual-boot configurations. We are still working on resolving it, so it would certainly be helpful for you to post the EXACT Mint version you are running. Additionally, the other users reporting Mint dual-boot configurations all have done so on laptops. There are also known problems with dual-boot configurations on other versions of Linux such as Kubuntu and Ubuntu (both on the 16.04LTS and 16.04.1LTS versions) when running on laptops alongside W10. I personally have experienced these. What's interesting, is that I have been able to get both the Kubuntu & Ubuntu dual-boot configs to work on a 9-year old Dell 32bit desktop PC with no problem!:eek::andwhat: I still haven't fooled around with Mint yet, but some of the other fellas here have and they might have a suggestion or two. In the meantime, do you have access to a desktop PC you can try the Mint+W10 config with? Due to CPU chip issues in the mobile versions, I suspect there are issues there with W10 and various versions of Linux. Unfortunately, there are over 600 versions of Linux on the market now, so we need some volunteers to help research these problems. If you'd like to help with the Mint configs, post back your version and keep in touch with us.

Best of luck,:teeth:
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

Back
Top Bottom