Windows 8 Disk Partition for Windows and Ubuntu

HTHVampire

Hi,

Currently on my laptop, I have a 120gb SSD and a 500gb WD Black HDD.
I plan to have Windows 7 & 8, Ubuntu to install on my 120gb SSD.

Windows 8 will be my main usage(installing lots of software like Adobe, Corel Video Studio, Microsoft Office etc...), windows 7 for incompability software use purpose and I'm interested on having a try on Ubuntu for programming use all that stuff, I'm new to Ubuntu actually.

May I know that what is the recommended partition for my 120gb SSD? In the case I want to have 30gb for my storage purpose and it will be 90gb available.

Can someone advices me? Thank you.

Can we assume that this system has 8 on it already?
If working from scratch (in order);
1. Turn off secure boot from the bios.
2. I’d install windows 8 onto the ssd as a 100 g drive.
3. Format the remaining sdd as a windows drive.
4. Split the 500 g how you want but again I’d…
5. Make 400 g windows data drive which leaves you just under 100 g remaining for the extra operating systems without wasting any ssd or getting muddled up.
6. Make a 50 g drive & install the windows 7 as efi.
7. Make a 1g drive for Ubuntu swap,
8. Make a 20 g Linux drive and install Ubuntu… it doesn’t need much.
9. Turn secure boot back on.
Note 1: Don’t try to install windows 7 onto the ssd drive because it will see (and default to) the other drive anyway.
Note 2: This setup order will make the windows 8 system very stable and self-contained at the front of the drives which makes formatting the Ubuntu | w7 easy without locking yourself into the dreaded recovery drive shuffle.
Note 3: Ubuntu is not compatible with windows 8… putting it at the end of the drive will lower the issues as will installing windows 7 in the middle.
Note 4: Good software that can make bootable Backups are your friend!

I would not double or triple boot my system with Ubuntu. An installation in a virtual partition using VMware Player will give you a lot less headaches. VMware Player creates a folder of your Ubuntu system in Documents and that folder you can move wherever you like - mine are on an external SSD attached via eSata or USB.

Here is a tutorial I made for the installation of Linux in VMware Player. My example shows Mint, but Ubuntu would be exactly the same. Only the Mint setup section at the end would not apply.

Another really simple option is to install Ubuntu on a USB flash drive. Here is how. This is a Mint system running from a flash drive:

Back