jesster

hi, i am running windows 7 enterprise and running into an issue with the DNS admin snap in. i cannot use it to connect to DNS servers we have in other domains. when i try, it says access denied. this is after i have gone into the credential vault and added the server and credentials i am trying to connect to. one more thing to note is that the account trying to be used is the local administrator account but it acts like it's not trying to use the local administrator account on the remote DNS server but the administrator account on my local machine. when i put the credentials in the credential vault, i did it like so:

DNSSERVERNAME\administrator

still no luck. i am hoping someone has come across this and can help me out. it is appreciated.

Solution
It seems like you are facing an issue with the DNS admin snap-in on Windows 7 Enterprise when trying to connect to DNS servers in other domains. The access denied error you are encountering after adding the server and credentials to the credential vault could be related to how the credentials are being passed or authenticated.
Here are some steps you can take to troubleshoot and potentially resolve this issue:
1. Run DNS Admin Snap-In as a Different User:
- Try running the DNS admin snap-in as a different user by right-clicking on the DNS admin tool and selecting "Run as administrator." This should prompt you to enter the credentials you want to use.
2. Use Different Credentials:
- Instead of using the local...
It seems like you are facing an issue with the DNS admin snap-in on Windows 7 Enterprise when trying to connect to DNS servers in other domains. The access denied error you are encountering after adding the server and credentials to the credential vault could be related to how the credentials are being passed or authenticated.
Here are some steps you can take to troubleshoot and potentially resolve this issue:
1. Run DNS Admin Snap-In as a Different User:
- Try running the DNS admin snap-in as a different user by right-clicking on the DNS admin tool and selecting "Run as administrator." This should prompt you to enter the credentials you want to use.
2. Use Different Credentials:
- Instead of using the local administrator account credentials, try using the credentials of an account that has the necessary permissions on the remote DNS servers.
3. Ensure Proper Permissions:
- Verify that the account you are using has the required permissions on the remote DNS servers. The account should have appropriate permissions to access and manage DNS settings.
4. Check Firewall and Network Settings:
- Ensure that there are no firewall restrictions or network settings preventing the connection to the remote DNS servers. Check if the necessary ports are open for communication.
5. Verify DNS Server Configuration:
- Double-check the configuration of the DNS servers you are trying to connect to, including any restrictions or settings that might be blocking the connection.
6. Use Fully Qualified Domain Name (FQDN):
- When entering the credentials in the credential vault, try using the fully qualified domain name of the server along with the administrator account, like DNSSERVERNAME.domain.com\administrator.
7. Check Group Policy Settings:
- Ensure that there are no Group Policy settings in place that might be restricting access to remote servers or affecting credential delegation.
By following these steps and ensuring that the correct credentials and permissions are in place, you should be able to troubleshoot the issue with connecting to DNS servers in other domains using the DNS admin snap-in on Windows 7 Enterprise. Let me know if you need further assistance or if you encounter any specific errors during the troubleshooting process.

Solution
Back