Windows 7 Dns & dhcp not working in windows

klins

after i upgraded vista to windows 7, i now have a problem that my internet is not working,i can ping external ips but no address resolution and if i made the connection to auto ip ...doesn't work.so that's dhcp & dns are not working.when i check in the services.msc the dhcp and dns services are running .if i booted windows in safe mode with networking, everything is working.so can you help me pleaaase,really need ur help guys.

thanks in advance.

What antivirus software do you have? Have you attempted to edit startup to see if a program is blocking your ability to access the internet?

Title says it all.

Could you please try to be a little bit more helpful next time as opposed to rephrasing my question / suggestion? We are all here to help one another and posting a suggestion in the title with a message content of "title says it all rather than asking questions to offer support could come across more brash than welcoming.

Thanks!

Jessica just a friendly reminder if you have a problem with someones posts please use the report button and leave moderation upto us this saves time, and aggravation between posters is kept to a minimum :)

Thankyou
Athlonite
tier2 Mod

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry about that

(Jessics, I really wasn't just rephrasing the question / suggestion? I agree that we are all here to help one another and by posting a suggestion in the title I was indeed trying to be helpful - the title of my post really "saying it all" - I was trying to avoid being unnecessarily verbose and most certainly not being brash.)

However, to enlarge, and help understand the purpose of my suggestion, where internet access does exist (as is confirmed by the ability to ping external addresses) failure to access internet addresses may be due either to DNS failure as originally suggested, alternatively it may be down to blocking of either DNS requests or access to specific ports by local security measures. Both antivirus and firewall software may be responsible for such blocking of either URLs and/or port numbers.

As you can ping IP addresses but not access domain names you are rightly focusing on DNS and before we start to dig into whether your ISP is assigning a working DNS to your router and whether your router is correctly forwarding requests we need first to ensure that neither your antivirus or firewall software are stopping such requests even reaching your router.

DHCP, as you probably know, works on both sides of your router but as you can ping an externall address it would seem that both address allocation from your ISP to your router and allocation between your router and pc are working ok so I think DHCP is unlikely to be the cause of any problem.

Last edited:
In your router set up page, MAC Address Clone tab, enable cloning and clone MAC address. Then we'll go from there.

Back