DNS resolution is taking more time for local website

jimab2611

Hi,

my company website is resolving faster while accessing from internet , but looks slow while accessing locally via intranet. local domain name and website name is same . for eg: my local domain name is abctest.com and website name also same as abctest.com. When I am accessing the website from internet enabled machine as www.abctest.com, it is loading without any delay . But if I am accessing this site as abctest.com ( https://abctest.com) via intranet , it is taking more time to load . my webserver IP is 10.10.0.3 and local DNS have A record added as www. Please let me know what would be the possible reason for loading the site slower from local network compare to access from internet . Experts please advise

Thanks you , Jim

Is the site setup with VPS?
Are you routing by DNS name?
Is the internal DNS pointing to the public IP or private IP?

Hi,
Thanks for showing interest on this .Please find below

I am not sure. I need to check with website support person
Yes

Internal DNS is pointing to public IP

There is no technical difference between www.example.com and example.com. Both could be setup in DNS to point to the same IP or different ones. If a site is VPS hosted that means a single web server can host mutlpie sites but they are only requestable with the FQDN or fully qualified domain name. They still hit the same IP but in the web request is the FQDN which the VPS web server pulls the correct site resources for.

If the web site is truly only hosted at www.example.com example.com could also be setup at the web server has a redirect to www.example.com.

So now if you're hitting the redirect and going to the public IP vs the internal you are adding about 4 times the total round trip time to communicate to the site.

Back