Windows 7 Do you think Vienna will really ship in 2009?

Matt

As we saw with Vista, MS thought Vista (longhorn) would ship 2003/2004. Here we are, it just came out, and the year is 2007. Now, Microsoft has said that Vienna will not be another release that will take 5-7 years, it will be done it two years. So, do you think this will really happen?

I think it may, if Microsoft really tries to get it out by then.

I think SP3 was always scheduled to be out at the end of 2007.

Anyway longhorn was delayed because of XP SP2, so they killed longhorn and started work on Vista.

As far as I know, Seven will be using longhorn as a core, which already has WinFS (Windows Future Storage file system) and a bunch of other stuff, so I think quite a bit of the code is ready, just needs to be debuged and have some features added and a new interface.

I think it's too early for releasing new OS, Vista is still fresh. Vienna will have delays for releasing like Vista("Longhorn" before) cuz it is start from scratch, so it will take little bit longer for developing fresh interface and beta testings.

I think it will release in late 2010 or 2011. :)

Well, I heard that Microsoft is saying 2010 now, so I'll say mid 2010 now. I think public betas will be late 2009 to 2010.

Back