Windows 7 Doesn't complete installation

renolayton

Hey all,

Just today, I thought I'd give Windows 7 a test run. I'm running 32bit Vista. I partitioned a drive aside as suggested by numerous other successful beta testers on here, and got started.

The installation went off without a hitch until the final Completing Installation step. My system restarted, as was to be expected, for the second time. Then on the reboot, I got the "You didn't turn off your computer right," screen...you know, the one with the Safe Mode/S.M. with Networking/Start Normally options.

I tried starting windows normally a few times, but I just end up running in circles until I decide to boot up in Vista. I started from scratch maybe three times...meaning a clean partition, and a fresh install, but to no avail.

Any ideas as to what I might do? I don't feel like losing any sleep over it, but I thought it might be fun to test out 7 with some downtime I had today.

Also, I'm back to square one for anyone looking to respond. I removed my partitions and deleted my (three) Windows 7 boot options.

Thanks!

Same problem...solved

Hi,

got same situation.

> Mainboard : Gigabyte GA-73PVM-S2H
> Chipsatz : nVidia GeForce 7100
> Prozessor : Intel Core 2 Duo E7200 @ 2533 MHz
> Physikalischer Speicher : 4096 MB
> LCD plugged into DVI (buildin GPU - nvidia 7100 / nforce 630i)

Setup didn't complete. Got new pci-express vga-card ---> Setup completet (LCD plugged into DVI-Port)

Found a blog, the guy was telling he got strange problems. Setup didn't complete with LCD plugged into HDMI, he switched to VGA and setup completed.

I uninstalled the new vga-card, plugged LCD into VGA-port -----> SETUP completed !!!!

VISTA has no problems with LCD plugged into DVI, but i think Win7 tries to read the properties of the LCD while plugged into DVI and fails.

Thanks for the response.

It looks like we have an almost identical setup, and I am in fact currently running my video output through a dvi, converted to hdmi, and plugged into my lcd tv.

I'll try your suggestion later when I get home and let you know how it worked.

One more question though, if you get the chance to respond before I go through with the suggestion. Were you able to reconnect to the dvi out after successfully completing the setup? Or am I stuck with using our lovely Beta version of 7 via VGA?

> Mainboard : Gigabyte GA-73PVM-S2H
> Chipset : nVidia GeForce 7100
> Prozessor : Intel Core 2 Duo E5200 @ 2.6 GHz
> Physikalischer Speicher : 4096 MB
> TV plugged into HDMI (built in GPU - nvidia 7100 / nforce 630i)

i got this mang, and the only way i got win 7 to install was when i was plugged in by VGA, hdmi and dvi to hdmi failed mangs

tonight i'mma try plugging in the hdmi now that it's installed and seeing if it's all good in the hood

It wouldn't boot with hdmi again when it would work with VGA. Apparantly what you can do is let boot and THEN plug in the hdmi

Mmmh, not good! Looks like i have to try it with DVI . Maybe there are some boot-options to set or drivers-settings to correct this behaviour.

Try this:
1. Make sure you don't have any USB devices plugged in.
2. Make sure you use Win7 Setup to create new partition on disk, don't install in a partition created by any other operating system.

ok so I can confirm that I couldn't install via hdmi or dvi, had to install with VGA. Once installed and in the is environment then you can plug in your hdmi or dvi

Good day!

Anyone have any suggestions with my situation

I installed Windows 7 on my brand new Macbook through Parallels Desktop 4,
After installation, I get the windows starting screen and that's it, it stays there for hours...

Mi configuration is: I've allowed a 32 gb partition on the virtual machine.
I dedicated 1 gb of ram to virtual machine THE MAC HAS 4 GB
my video card is Nvidia Geforce 9400M
Processor is a 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor with 3MB on-chip shared L2 cache running 1:1 with processor speed
1066MHz frontside bus
4GB (two 2GB SO-DIMMs) of 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM;
250GB Serial ATA; 5400 rpm hard disk

Need help! But before you answer please don't make any comments on the fact that I'm a Mac user ;-)

Good day!

Anyone have any suggestions with my situation

I installed Windows 7 on my brand new Macbook through Parallels Desktop 4,
After installation, I get the windows starting screen and that's it, it stays there for hours...

Mi configuration is: I've allowed a 32 gb partition on the virtual machine.
I dedicated 1 gb of ram to virtual machine THE MAC HAS 4 GB
my video card is Nvidia Geforce 9400M
Processor is a 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor with 3MB on-chip shared L2 cache running 1:1 with processor speed
1066MHz frontside bus
4GB (two 2GB SO-DIMMs) of 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM;
250GB Serial ATA; 5400 rpm hard disk

Need help! But before you answer please don't make any comments on the fact that I'm a Mac user ;-)

Make sure you've let Windows7 setup create the partition. If the partition you want to use is already there, use setup to delete it then create a new one.

Ok, I will try something first thing tomorrow... But the thing is that the partition is created with Parallels Desktop Virtual Machine before you start installing Windows... What would you recommend then?

Ok, I will try something first thing tomorrow... But the thing is that the partition is created with Parallels Desktop Virtual Machine before you start installing Windows... What would you recommend then?

Start setup and when it displays the available partitions, select the desired partition, have setup delete it, then have it create a new one with the same size.

You're the man ! It worked! THANKS! Now I have to research on how to make virtual machine and windows communicate to get an internet and network connection through my Mac. It wasn't done automaticaly as with other Win versions... Any ideas? Or wish me luck!

You're the man ! It worked! THANKS! Now I have to research on how to make virtual machine and windows communicate to get an internet and network connection through my Mac. It wasn't done automaticaly as with other Win versions... Any ideas? Or wish me luck!

Great! Looks like that's the root of the problem for most of the installation issues. Sorry, no ideas on the other problem...

Help.....
I have 2 SATA HD and 1 IDE HD
Disk 1: Partition 1: XP; Partition 2:Vista Ultimate - 250GB
Disk 2: Partition1: Data - 500GB
Disk 3: Partition 1 - 40GB

I have been trying in vain to install Windows 7 on the IDE HD, the installation would complete extracting and copying the files however when the pc reboots i get and error message "A Disk Read Error Occurred" "Crtl+Alt+Del to restart". I have tested and checked this HD many times to see if it was failing and so far have not gotten any errors? I read in another forum that Windows 7 creates an additional 200MB partition and it formats the HD differently from XP and Vista but i formatted during the Windows 7 setup and still no luck...

Help.....
I have 2 SATA HD and 1 IDE HD
Disk 1: Partition 1: XP; Partition 2:Vista Ultimate - 250GB
Disk 2: Partition1: Data - 500GB
Disk 3: Partition 1 - 40GB

I have been trying in vain to install Windows 7 on the IDE HD, the installation would complete extracting and copying the files however when the pc reboots i get and error message "A Disk Read Error Occurred" "Crtl+Alt+Del to restart". I have tested and checked this HD many times to see if it was failing and so far have not gotten any errors? I read in another forum that Windows 7 creates an additional 200MB partition and it formats the HD differently from XP and Vista but i formatted during the Windows 7 setup and still no luck...

Try the above:
1. On disk 2, use Windows 7 setup to delete the 500 GB partition.
2. Let it create a new partition. It should create a 200 MB partition and a second partition of the size you specify ( or just take what it suggests).
I'm pretty sure it's important to let setup create the partition as well as format it, even though in the Mac case above just formatting was enough.

Back