Windows 8 don't want to lose my photo tags

botanica

I just bought a new 1TB hard drive for my laptop and would like to install Windows 8 on it. On the existing 250 MB hard drive, I now have thousands of photos organized by tags in Windows Photo Gallery which came with the Vista operating system. I know I won't lose any photos when I make the change because I have everything backed up. But the photo files are contained in about a hundred separate folders and my fear is that I will have to spend an enormous amount of time organizing them again for the new system.

Should I not be concerned about this? Will Windows 8 quickly organize them again by tags? Or is there something I should do before I make the hard drive/operating system change to ensure a smoother transition?

Thanks,
Stuart

Hi Stuart,

this web site should give the answers you seek:

Organize your photos - Microsoft Windows

Thanks, kemical. I did visit the page and then downloaded Windows Live Photo Gallery. It automatically arranges my photos in the sidebar on the left by the folders they are in. Does anyone know if the sidebar can be made to arrange the photos by the tags that have been applied to them (like my older version of Windows Photo Gallery does)?

Thanks,
Stuart

Why not just use an Imaging app and clone the existing HD to the new HD. In this way the new HD will contain everything on the old HD.

If you do not have a way to connect both HDs at the same time, simply create an Image of the old HD on an Ext. HD, then restore the Image to the new HD once you install it. Imaging is the Gold Standard for whole system back ups anyway. In this manner you can create an Up To Date Image and set up your new HD in a single stroke.

Why not just use an Imaging app and clone the existing HD to the new HD. In this way the new HD will contain everything on the old HD.

If you do not have a way to connect both HDs at the same time, simply create an Image of the old HD on an Ext. HD, then restore the Image to the new HD once you install it. Imaging is the Gold Standard for whole system back ups anyway. In this manner you can create an Up To Date Image and set up your new HD in a single stroke.

This sounds like a good idea. Can you recommend software for doing this?

I use Acronis True Image 2013, but it is not free. Works great. Others talk a lot about Macrium Reflect free or paid edition or EaseUS ToDo free or paid edition. Obviously the paid editions have more features. You would create a Rescue Boot disk for each to use to boot to do the restore.

I use Acronis True Image 2013, but it is not free. Works great. Others talk a lot about Macrium Reflect free or paid edition or EaseUS ToDo free or paid edition. Obviously the paid editions have more features. You would create a Rescue Boot disk for each to use to boot to do the restore.

Thanks, Medicted. I just downloaded Acronis and it comes with a free 30 day trial. Maybe I will be able to figure out how to use it.

What is a rescue boot disk? Why do I need one? How do I create one? And how do I use one?

Re: buy nolvadex 330

If your PC will not boot for any reason, you will need the Rescue Boot disk to boot to in order to allow you to restore your Image.

The is a tab called Create Rescue Media (I believe).

Back