Windows 10 Downgrade Assistance.

ItsSai

Currently, I am running Windows 10 and I am unhappy with its performance. To cut to the chase I originally had Windows 8.1, and I was curious if I bought and installed a copy of Windows 7, would I run into any issues?

Hi and welcome to the forum :up:

The short answer is YES. Of course it would be helpful to have a little more information about your computer, since that will often make a difference. Make/Model would be nice, and if it's a desktop or a laptop. If it's a self-built PC or custom-built PC, we need full HW specs. If you don't know what that means or how to get it, post back and we'll give you further instructions.

If your computer came with 8.1 on it from the factory, and the machine wasn't upgraded from an even older version of windows such as W7 or Vista, XP, etc. there certainly could be hardware issues. Computers began being built with 8.1 in 2013; 4 years ago. W7 computers were built in 2009. That's a 4 year gap in hardware, which is an eternity in the computer world. The only way to know for certain, is if your computer is an OEM computer (Dell, HP, Acer, Toshiba, etc.) is to call the manufacturer up on the phone and ask their Tech Support your downgrade question. They can run your Service Tag # or your Serial number of your machine in a matter of seconds and tell you for sure whether or not it's downgradeable or not. If they say, Yes, then it should work. If they say No, obviously it's not worth trying.

There are a number of very complicated issues involved here and many variables. I won't go into this here, but am giving you a layman's perspective of how to best proceed. Generally speaking however, W8 and W8.1 machines very seldom are downgradeable in my experience. I've only gotten a few to work where the manufacturer assured me it could be done, and even then it's a pain in the rear. :furious:

Before you go to all this effort to attempt an OS downgrade, you should be aware that you can simply download a free program called CLASSIC SHELL for your W10 which you can re-program your W10 desktop to work just like W7, or W8, or even Vista or XP. (you can Google it). I have installed this for several of my customers who are just too opposed to learning yet another version of windows after using the one they like for several years. W10 is worth keeping on your existing computer, as it has significantly higher performance, and much better security than W7. Even if you are not a power user, if the downgrade is possible you will notice your computer performing at a much more sluggish pace after you've been running W10 even for a few days or weeks. Something to think about. It's a zero-cost solution that may save you hundreds of dollars if you pay a licensed Tech to do the downgrade.

Hope that answered your question.:star:
Best,
<<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>>

Well the issue could be due to hardware or software or both. Figuring that out before you start installing anything else.
Some common issues that will cause performance issues
  • Dirty CPU fan or heatsink
  • Bad thermal seal on the CPU
  • Failing hard drives
The first two would require physically taking the computer apart and resolving. There are guides on youtube if you choose to do this
You can test the hard drive with tools like SeaTools.

Secondly if you upgraded from 8.1 to 10 this can carry over any latent issues, corruption and possible malware infections. It would be better if you (optionally backup your data and) do a fresh install of Windows 10. Windows 10 has much improved performance over Windows 7 and 8.1. Also if you go to Windows 7 you will need to upgrade in 2020 anyways when support ends for 7.

Neemo makes some excellent points as always here. We here at WF often recommend the W10 Clean Install for several reasons, some of which Neemo mentioned above. It's also important to re-read his comment about W7 end-of-life-ing in 2020 or sooner (I hear now from my IT buddies it's sooner around 2019). In any case it's no more than 3 years left on it, could be as soon as 2 years before it's obsolete and can no longer be used on the Internet safely (same as old XP computers).

There are many articles about this all over the Internet (the downgrade issue that is), and if you read them one of the takeaways you should get is that Downgrades (IF AND ONLY IF THE MANUFACTURER'S SUPPORT LINE CONFIRMS THAT IT IS EVEN POSSIBLE), that you are undoing all the good things that the newer OS features are providing for you. If you hate W10 that much, as most Users do with each new version of Windows that comes out, perhaps you should consider switching to a different OS altogether such as Mac OS or Linux. I've done downgrades for 30 years, and besides the fact they are labor intensive and quite expensive, they rarely work and are always problematic.:headache: This means I wouldn't recommend it to you to attempt on your own, but rather I would suggest you consider paying a Tech professional to do this for you. Unless you are studying to become a computer repair person, this will most likely end in failure if you attempt to do so yourself.:waah:

These days I rarely do downgrades anymore, and once I find out that the Hardware is downgradeable I will raise my prices to near the cost of a replacement computer or simply advise my Customer to simply replace their aging computer with a new one since the repair will cost nearly as much as a new computer or laptop. In some cases, the estimate I deliver to the Customer will show $400 in parts & labor; clearly more than the cost of a new computer.:waah: This is a no-brainer for Customers; they will simply give up and buy a new computer, or they will go to another Tech and try to find someone who will do it cheaper. The resort community I live in, none of the other Techs here will touch a downgrade request these days, especially if the computer is older than 4 years old.:down:

Thanks for the assist, Neem!

Some thing for you to ponder.
Best,:nerdie:
<<BBJ>>

Back