Windows 8 Downgrade caused major speed problems

Kio5853

So I got the computer I have, a Dell Inspiron 15, and it came with Windows 8. I wasn't a fan, but I kept it anyway. Then suddenly after 3 years of ownership, the thing forcibly updates itself to Windows 10. I downgraded it after trying the new Windows for a few days, even though it did not have consent to do what it did, and after such downgrade a plethora of issues aroused. Whether this is intentional to try and get me back to Windows 10 or not, it's really making me mad. First and foremost it is having ridiculous startup issues, including but not limited to, not starting up at all and just having a black screen, starting up but not displaying the background behind the login icons and then not displaying anything after I log in, and all the way to literally taking 20 minutes to finish boot up. If I do manage, on the off chance, to actually get it started, which is about a 50/50 chance, it runs ridiculously slow. In my more detailed task manager, for some reason Disk is almost always running at 100%, but for no visible reason. It just seems to be ghosting out 50% worth of Disk that didn't use to be that high. How in the name of God do I fix this?! I've checked for viruses, contacted Windows support and had a full virtual desktop diagnostic run, and I have scoured the Internet for clues to no avail. What happened?!?

Hi,
you may have had some corruption set in due to the upgrade process (something I hate).

Is it possible for you to set Windows 8.1 back to factory defaults?

Failing that try running these scans. Find command prompt, right click on it and run as admin:

Type:
sfc /scannow
press enter and await results

In the same command prompt and after the above scan has finished type:
dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
Press enter and await results (longer this time).

If the first scan found files it could not repair but the second scan is successful, run the first scan again using the same command prompt box and this time it should repair the files found.

Back