Windows 7 Download and open files without prompt

Yaron

I've set Firefox to open various file types (txt, png, pdf) with their default application; the "Do this automatically for files like this" option is checked.
For some reason, FF keeps asking whether to save or open the file.

In IE8, the "Always ask before opening this type of file" check-box is missing.

(Win 7, 32-bit).

I'd appreciate your help.

Thank you.

I don't like Clear Type, and I can't disable it in later versions.

I've set Firefox to open various file types (txt, png, pdf) with their default application; the "Do this automatically for files like this" option is checked.
For some reason, FF keeps asking whether to save or open the file.

In IE8, the "Always ask before opening this type of file" check-box is missing.

(Win 7, 32-bit).

I'd appreciate your help.

For a good explanation, see this link: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/change-firefox-behavior-when-open-file

BTW, note this warning:
Do not choose Firefox to always open a certain file type, as doing so can cause a problem where Firefox repeatedly opens empty tabs or windows after you click on a link.

Thank you.

All my FF settings are correct. It might be a Windows issue.

Think of "open" more as "do something with". When you set Firefox to use the default applications, it defines what program will handle the file. Handling the file will not necessarily mean "open".

If you want to open a file found online, it is first downloaded to your computer which is where the application uses it. Once it has been downloaded to a temporary location, Windows, for your convenience, asks you whether you want to just save it to a location of your choice or open it. If you actually want to go to the bother of opening it, it gets passed to the default or specified application.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom