downloads fail to auto start/run

Discussion in 'Windows Vista Help and Support' started by bassfisher6522, Dec 1, 2008.

1. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522 Essential Member

All of a sudden when I download programs or program updates, they fail to run and install automatically. Before I would download a program and when it was finished a pop up window would ask me if I wanted to run it. I would click yes and then vista would ask me was I sure, and clicked yes. Then program or updates would install and all was well. Now after I download a program, it just goes to where I designate my downloads to go and I have to go and open the download to run and install it. What happened? Thanks

2. kemical

kemical Windows Forum Admin
    Staff Member Premium Supporter Microsoft MVP

Hmm... Have you checked your 'Default Programs' settings for the auto run? Vista at times has a habit of forgetting certain settings, anyway here's a screenshot of where I mean and I've put arrows in to show the setting needed..

3. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522 Essential Member

Yeah, I finally found it on my own. Reset every thing to default settings. I should be good to go. Thanks for the help. I wonder why it does it though....must be some underlying issue. What is the question? Vista gotta love it. Thanks again.