Windows 7 Drivers missing for upgrading to Windows 7 installation

jlua

I have run the Windows 7 Compatibility Upgrade Advisor on my Vaio VGN-FZ190. I am getting that two drivers are not compatible with Windows 7:

1) The Nvidia GeForce 8400M GT has the latest that Sony publishes on its support web page for my laptop (Ver. 7.15.11.6760), dated 1/11/2008. On the Nvidia web site, it says that to get updates for my laptop "you must contact your computer vendor", so no updates are available there. Sony does not provide a newer Nvidia driver either.

2) The "Bluetooh Stack for Windows by Toshiba" Ver. 5.00.00. This is the most current driver that Sony publishes for this laptop model on the Vaio support web site.

I don't want to embark on the Windows 7 upgrade until I know I won't run into any critical issues that could lead me to who knows where.

Any recommendations on how to proceed? Especially for the Toshiba Bluetooth drivers, since the generic Windows 7 graphics VGA driver probably will work.

I resolved the problem in a sort of an unofficial way. The easiest was reverting the graphics driver from an Nvidia driver (impossible to upgrade to Windows 7-compatible version) to a Windows-provided Standard VGA driver; it later was replaced by another Windows-provided driver by the Windows 7 "upgrade" installation. Then, a charitable soul gave me a Ver.7 of the Toshiba Bluetooth stack driver, which also got moved during the Windows 7 "upgrade". This updated driver was impossible to get neither from Sony, nor from Toshiba.

One thing is clear: this was my first and last Sony Vaio computer. Worse than dismal technical support, non-standard drivers that are not upgradable by Sony or by the peripheral vendor, and a very long list of etc´s. Not to mention that the motherboard of my laptop had to be replaced... twice...

Back
Top Bottom