Dx 9c

Can I install Direct X 9c to run along side Dx11? I have an app requires 9c in XP comp mode

reghakr

Essential Member
Simply put,

No, the versions of the files would be changed .

Most files have the exact name.

Could I ask why You'd prefer 9 over 11? What's the name of the app you're trying to use?

Unless it's a very old program, all DirectX versions should be compatible. In other words, the latest version should be backward compatible with apps using older versions Of DirectX

Last edited by a moderator:
The App

Yea ok that makes sense...it's a chat enviornment that I run in XP Comp mode...The program isnt really worth the hassle if it wont even run well. Thanks for the reply. FYI called Paradise Chat

loathe

Actually you can install dx9c and in some cases you will need a newer version of dx9c to play a newer game. They run on independent .dll files and Windows will not over ride newer files for older ones. Install dx9 as normal.

Actually you can install dx9c and in some cases you will need a newer version of dx9c to play a newer game. They run on independent .dll files and Windows will not over ride newer files for older ones. Install dx9 as normal.
I have to agree...

Sorry ;)

Installing DirectX 9 in Windows 7 will not hurt anything. All the (web) installer essentially does is update the files that make up DX 9.. ;) By doing this, some DX 9 games (Half Life 2 is a good example of this I find) will actually benefit and a noticeable increase in performance is possible.. :)

reghakr

Essential Member
Hey guys,

I didn't realize that was possible.

I thought many of the dll's would be overwritten by downgrading.

Just curious, but what would happen if you ran dxdiag. Would it show version 9 or 11?

It would still show DX11 as all your doing by running the DX 9 web installer is updating files that are already there.. ;)

This website is not affiliated, owned, or endorsed by Microsoft Corporation. It is a member of the Microsoft Partner Program.