Windows 10 Embedded video in a web page.

Russell

Attention: windowsForum members:
I have a web page that serves up fine ( my personal computer is configured as a dedicated web server ), except that the embedded video in that web page does not work ( it will not work in either the Vivaldi or Opera web browsers, for example ). I just downloaded Adobe Flash Player and installed it, restarted the Vivaldi 1.15.1147.42 (Stable channel) (32-bit) web browser, and the video still does not work. Any suggestions? Thank you ( see Colossians 3:15, for example ) for your help and your patience. Keep in touch. :)

Sincerely in Christ,
Russell E. Willis
P.S. - Please read Proverbs 23:23.

"23 Buy truth, and do not sell it; buy wisdom, instruction, and understanding."
[ Proverbs 23:23; RSV ]

Russell E. Willis
3559 Almanac Road
Tallahassee, Florida 32309

If I were you I would use MP4 or webM instead of Flash Player like this:

Code:
//this is HTML5 code:
<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
<head></head>
<body>

<video width="320" height="240" controls>
  <source src="movie.mp4" type="video/mp4">
  <source src="movie.webm" type="video/webm">
  Your browser does not support the video tag.
</video>

</body>
</html>

If I were you I would use MP4 or webM instead of Flash Player like this:

Code:
//this is HTML5 code:
<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
<head></head>
<body>

<video width="320" height="240" controls>
  <source src="movie.mp4" type="video/mp4">
  <source src="movie.webm" type="video/webm">
  Your browser does not support the video tag.
</video>

</body>
</html>
Attention: livix07:
I have included four screen capture files, below, for your consideration. They are:

This one shows that Shockwave Flash Object is enabled in my Internet Explorer web browser. Then, we have:

This one shows the error message I receive in my embedded ".mp4" video file. Then, we have:

This one shows the hypertext markup language ( HTML ) code using the "<video></video>" tags ( as highlighted, above ). Then, we have:

This one shows which version of the Internet Explorer web browser I am currently using ( I am using other web browsers as well ). Are you suggesting that I include the following line of HTML code into my "<video></video>" tags:
Code:
<source src="http://localhost/The_book_of_Revelation_14a.webm" type="video/webm">
?
Let me know what you think. Keep in touch.:)

Sincerely in Christ,
Russell E. Willis

Russell E. Willis
3559 Almanac Road

Remove the localhost that won't work when accessing from a remote computer. You need to use a dotted path ../path/to/file or ./path/to/file this will be relative to the www root site directory

Let me know what you think. Keep in touch.:)

As Neemobeer has already suggested it all depends on where your .html file (web page) and the video files are located on your computer.
For example let's say your web pages and video files are in the same folder as in the following image:

In that case the source of the video would be:
Code:
<source src="The_book_of_Revelation_14a.webm" type="video/webm">

OR

<source src="./The_book_of_Revelation_14a.webm" type="video/webm">
Try both and see which one works!!!

But let's say the web page is in a folder called My website and the video files are in a folder called videos inside My website folder as in the following image:

In this case the source of the video will be:
Code:
<source src="/videos/The_book_of_Revelation_14a.webm" type="video/webm">

OR

<source src="./videos/The_book_of_Revelation_14a.webm" type="video/webm">
Can you understand now?

Attachments

• website0.png
    website0.png
    36.4 KB · Views: 175
As Neemobeer has already suggested it all depends on where your .html file (web page) and the video files are located on your computer.
For example let's say your web pages and video files are in the same folder as in the following image:
View attachment 37340

In that case the source of the video would be:
Code:

OR

Try both and see which one works!!!

But let's say the web page is in a folder called My website and the video files are in a folder called videos inside My website folder as in the following image:
View attachment 37338

In this case the source of the video will be:
Code:
<source src="/videos/The_book_of_Revelation_14a.webm" type="video/webm">

OR

<source src="./videos/The_book_of_Revelation_14a.webm" type="video/webm">
Can you understand now?
I have included three screen capture files, below, for your consideration. They are as follows:

This one shows the specific file path to my web files in question. Then, we have:

This one shows the "source" portion of the "<video></video>" tags, using the specific file path shown in the previous screen capture file ( the "source" portion is highlighted, above ). I have tried using both the ".mp4" and ".webm" file extenstions here. Then, we have:

This one shows the fact that my embedded video file is still not working properly, after changing to the file path method you previously suggested. Roughly one year ago, I had a similar discussion with a user on the web page "w3schools.com" and, at that time, I was attempting to use a file path method similar to what you have mentioned. However, that w3schools.com user told me that the source, in the "<video></video>" tags had to be relative to the server, and then she specifically wrote: "<source src="http://localhost/The_book_of_Revelation_14a.mp4" type="video/mp4">" ( if I remember that correctly ). Since that time, my embedded video files have worked properly, until the past few days. I fully understand what you have been telling me, but unless you can tell me something that is going to work, or unless I am overlooking something you have just told me, I think I may need to revert back to the "localhost" form of the "<source>" tag, as just described. I will gladly read any further suggestions you may write to me - I think there may be something else causing my embedded video files not to work properly. Thank you ( see Colossians 3:15, for example ) for your help and your patience. Keep in touch. :)

Sincerely in Christ,
Russell E. Willis

Russell E. Willis
3559 Almanac Road

Based on this image you have provided

the source for your video should be:

Code:

OR

Don't forget to restart the web server every time you modify your web site! Please try it and let me know if it works.

View attachment 37347

Code:

OR

Don't forget to restart the web server every time you modify your web site! Please try it and let me know if it works.
I have tried both of the "<video></video>" tag source-code suggestions you provided above, but they do not solve my problem. I have since reverted back to the original form of that code, namely: "<source src="http://localhost/The_book_of_Revelation_14a.mp4" type="video/mp4>." I have been suspecting this, but I will go ahead and ask the two following questions: (1) is it possible to block an embedded video on a web page and (2) if so, how can I find out who is doing it ( who is blocking my video sermon )? Also, yesterday, when I stopped my "Apache24" service in the "Services" program ( on my personal computer system, running Microsoft Windows 10 ( Home ) Edition ), I immediately tried to restart it, but repeatedly received an error message. Currently, the only way for me to restart that service is to restart my computer. It is not good to open the "Services" program, and see the "Apache24" service, and the word "running" is not in the "Status" column of that program. I would have uploaded a screen capture file, to give you a visual aid to what I am experiencing with my "Apache24" service, but apparently that functionality is also being blocked this morning ( as best I can tell ). This incident regarding my blocked embedded video is not the first time I have had this problem since my online ministry has been up and running ( a little more than a year now ). I have noticed that a web page ( if I remember correctly ) would be blocked, but after a while, it would serve up fine again. Is there any way I can find out who is doing this? Thank you ( see Colossians 3:15, for example ) for your help and your patience. Keep in touch. :)

Sincerely in Christ,
Russell E. Willis

Russell E . Willis
3559 Almanac Road

As I stated before you can't have localhost in there if the files are on a remote system. Your system is going to translate that to your local system.

For example if you in IIS on your webserver if the site root is C:\wwwroot\Mysite and you store videos in C:\wwwroot\MySite\Videos. The page with the embedded tag is at C:\wwwroot\MySite\MyPages\somepage.html then the src= path needs to be relative to the somepage.html as in
<source src="../Videos/The_book_of_Revelation_14a.mp4" type="video/mp4>

The .. tells the server go up one directory to C:\wwwroot\MySite then look in the Videos directory for the video

The same thing applies with Apache or basically any web server

I have tried both of the "<video></video>" tag source-code suggestions you provided above, but they do not solve my problem. I have since reverted back to the original form of that code, namely: "<source src="http://localhost/The_book_of_Revelation_14a.mp4" type="video/mp4>." I have been suspecting this, but I will go ahead and ask the two following questions: (1) is it possible to block an embedded video on a web page and (2) if so, how can I find out who is doing it ( who is blocking my video sermon )? Also, yesterday, when I stopped my "Apache24" service in the "Services" program ( on my personal computer system, running Microsoft Windows 10 ( Home ) Edition ), I immediately tried to restart it, but repeatedly received an error message. Currently, the only way for me to restart that service is to restart my computer. It is not good to open the "Services" program, and see the "Apache24" service, and the word "running" is not in the "Status" column of that program. I would have uploaded a screen capture file, to give you a visual aid to what I am experiencing with my "Apache24" service, but apparently that functionality is also being blocked this morning ( as best I can tell ). This incident regarding my blocked embedded video is not the first time I have had this problem since my online ministry has been up and running ( a little more than a year now ). I have noticed that a web page ( if I remember correctly ) would be blocked, but after a while, it would serve up fine again. Is there any way I can find out who is doing this? Thank you ( see Colossians 3:15, for example ) for your help and your patience. Keep in touch. :)

Sincerely in Christ,
Russell E. Willis
View attachment 37351

Russell E . Willis
3559 Almanac Road

View attachment 37347

Code:

OR

I edited the "<source>" portion of the "<video></video>" tags as follows:
Code:
<source src="https://localhost/The_book_of_Revelation_14a.mp4" type="video/mp4">
and I noticed that the controls portion of the embedded video appeared to be live in my web page for a few seconds, and then it grayed out again. This was after I had stopped my Apache version 2.4 web server and restarted it. Keep making suggestions. I will keep working on it. Thank you ( see Colossians 3:15, for example ) for your help and your patience. Keep in touch. :)

Sincerely in Christ,
Russell E. Willis

Russell E. Willis
3559 Almanac Road

I edited the "<source>" portion of the "<video></video>" tags as follows:
Code:
<source src="https://localhost/The_book_of_Revelation_14a.mp4" type="video/mp4">
and I noticed that the controls portion of the embedded video appeared to be live in my web page for a few seconds, and then it grayed out again. This was after I had stopped my Apache version 2.4 web server and restarted it. Keep making suggestions. I will keep working on it. Thank you ( see Colossians 3:15, for example ) for your help and your patience. Keep in touch. :)

As Neemobeer has already suggested there should NOT be https://localhost in the video source.
The controls are grayed because the video is not found and that is normal behavior.
Unfortunately I am not familiar with Apache on Windows. If you ever want to install and run Apache on Linux than I can help you with that.
Honestly, if you want to use Windows for web services, than you should buy Windows Server 2016.

Attention: windowsForum users:
As of this morning, I edited my web file ( i.e., "index3_41.htm" ) as shown in the following hypertext markup language ( HTML ) code:
Code:
<center><video width="600" height="500" controls>
  <source src="The_book_of_Revelation_14a.mp4" type="video/mp4">
</video></center>
and restarted my web server, and the result is shown in the following screen capture file:

Please do not think me dumb. I do not know what I did differently between this morning and the past few days, but the evidence ( shown immediately above ) clearly indicates that my embedded video is working in my web page. Thank you ( see Colossians 3:15, for example ) for your help and your patience. Keep in touch. :)

Sincerely in Christ,
Russell E. Willis

Russell E. Willis
3559 Almanac Road

Back