End of Life: MS SQL Server 2005 Compact Edition

SRoy

Hi:

Secunia PSI shows MS SQL Server 2005 Compact Edition has reached EOL, and needs to be updated:

Capture.PNG

The update link leads to MS SQL Server site, no further headway.

It appears that this version of SQL Server is associated with Photo Gallery, and installed as part of Windows Live Essentials. Removing PhotoGallery will adversely affect Movie Maker.

Any suggestions, what can be done? Thanks in advance.
SRoy

Any suggestions, what can be done?
option one = do nothing and assume the server will never break | get hacked or that your staff will remember how they worked... there may be some legal issues if the data on this server is sensitive because the eol is passed due.
option two = upgrade

Would look forward to the upgrade option; Windows update has not worked so far.

Any suggestions about executing the upgrade? Steps, etc. Something that has worked: since multiple programs are involved.

Thanks in advance, SRoy

The sql server is a database for software (excel file, pdfs and maps) you have to sync the server type to the systems using it in order to work so upgrading the server to the current 2016 version is pointless if your company still uses XP workstations and open office.

• How many people use this server
  • Are they in different countries
  • What hardware is the server sitting on now
  • What hardware | software are all the workstations
  • What is your budget (time and money)
  • How long does the new server have to last
  • Are you going to retrain the staff on this new system

Option: get Microsoft to move the entire system over onto their cloud

Advantages; fast setup, most of your old software can carry over (even XP) and you don't need to employ | train new staff

Disadvantages; very expensive, lose control of the system and you box yourself into the past systems

Option: get a half decent server system and perhaps some new workstations then rebuild the network

Advantages; a new system is faster | better, hardware is cheaper, you generally set the new system up alongside the old one to avoid downtime and modern servers have more people that understand them

Disadvantages; you need good staff that know what they are doing to set the new system up and you have to retrain everyone to use it

I am sorry: I didn't realise you had an Enterprise scenario in mind. I should have understood, when you mentioned the legal issues in your last post.

The situation that I am in is a home one, single laptop with Windows 10 (Pro, Version 1607) 64 bit. I am interested in having the Movie Maker running.

I am looking at an upgrade that would probably replace the offending DB with a free SQL Server Express kind of a DB that would enable Photo Gallery run seamlessly (incidental), and also, in turn, enable the Movie Maker to continue (important to me).

Ideally, I would expect Microsoft to handle this and provide me with an option, but probably it's a matter of shifting priorities for them.

single laptop with Windows 10 (Pro, Version 1607) 64 bit
Windows 8.1 or 10 pro versions have hyper-v built in as a free tool

Configure a v-private network (not on the internet) then install the old sql server as a v-system... This keeps your old files (for movie maker), allows you to send files between the laptop and v-(sql)server at will and the end of life become irrelevant because the sql server is isolated away from any source of attack

I would expect Microsoft to handle this and provide me with an option
lol

Thanks! I'll have to do some reading up on using hyper-V

I did precede my expectation with 'Ideally' :)

If you have any old box with a 64 bit chip and at least 4g of ram then I would install the basic hyperserver (free download from Microsoft) on it instead of using the laptops hdd... You still use the laptops hyper-v to remote into it when you need access but the system can also run independent

This tends to be where my old gaming systems end up when none of the kids want them

Thanks for your suggestions:

I am just wondering, whether Movie maker's cooperation with the photo gallery is a configurable one, that can be made to happen over a network (as compared to the current setup, which expects the required stuff - DLLs, etc. on the same machine).

wondering, whether Movie maker's cooperation with the photo gallery is a configurable one
sorry but I don't know anyone that uses "Movie Maker"... it never worked well and Microsoft has dropped it but I don't see why it should be a problem when you can swap a V-hdd between the hyper-v and host (laptop or desktop) anyway

'enhanced session mode' allows you to use devices (hdd, usb, disc etc) on the host system inside the hyper-v system so for example my laptop d drive is also my wsus server 12r2 d (it could also be other letters but that gets confusing for me :oops:) drive

I am not sure about the seamlessness of the change in the interface. As I said, I'll have to do some reading up on using hyper-V

Back