Windows 8 Establishing a default email program when sending images

Colonel Biggs

Obviously, I am new to Windows 8.

When I am at a web site that contains .JPG images, I can right click on the image to forward it to a third party as an email attachment. I have done this in the past using Vista. However, I receive an error message, saying that I do not have a default email program established, and that I should set one up as a default program.

My Windows 8 laptop came with a Mail email program established. I used Control Panel to verify that this program exists for default email applications. Is there something else that I need to establish in order to enable Mail to act as a default program?

Gordon
Houston, Texas

From the control panel, go to programs - default programs - set your default programs and then select your email client, then select "set this program as default". I'm using Outlook 2010 for my email client.

Thanks for taking the time to reply; I regret that I have been unable to respond sooner.

The procedure that you described is the one that I initially followed - without any success. I know nothing about the Mail program that is provided with Windows 8. With my previous Vista platform I was using Windows Live Mail. It is being replaced by Outlook.com (of which I also know very little!). I have Office 2010, but the Home version does not contain Outlook, about which I have heard good things. I tried Outlook.com, but I wasn't overly impressed, so I uninstalled it. Perhaps I need to download it again to enable the sending of JPEG images as email attachments. Are you satisfied with the Office 2010 version of Outlook? I think that it retails for about $140.

Gordon

Outlook.com is not downloadable, it's web based, same as gmail. I use outlook.com and it's based off of the windows 8 theme, but I prefer my Outlook as my primary email client.

I don't like the mail app at all, the one on the windows start menu. There are plenty 3rd party email clients out there that you might want to try. Here's a few to look at. eM client, Incredimail. Just do a simple google search for email clients.

If you want Outlook from the office suite, now's the time to get it. Most retail stores have pulled the 2010 series and are pushing the 2013 series office suites. You might find it online and a bit cheaper.

There was a misunderstanding, almost a year ago, regarding the "demise" of Windows Live Mail. Microsoft have, for reasons of their own, pushed it into the background, much like they did initially with Outlook Express and Windows Mail. It will remain as a functional Email client into the distant future, but, minimally, until earlier OSs become totally redundant.

Microsft have replaced the client, as their "Flagship" email, with the Metro mail.

If you have been using, and are comfortable with Windows Live, I would suggest you continue to use it.

Hello, Senor David --

As you know, WLM is packaged with Microsoft Essentials. The latest version is installed with Windows 8 but, as one might suspect, WLM is not part of the package. One would have to uninstall the latest version of Microsoft Essentials, and install the older version that includes WLM. Doable, but backward looking, I suppose. I have a feeling that MSFT wants me to purchase Outlook!

Thanks for the response, regardless.

Gordon

I looked at eBay, but the 2010 Outlook package still appears relatively pricey (to me). Obviously (I learn now), my ability to email JPEG pictures before was a function of my having installed WLM. At least I now understand the problem. My thanks for your inputs.

Gordon

True that the separate elements of Essentials, are now modified and included as Metro apps. I found the mail portion, the only part which I use, unworkable for me. I download Windows essentials, including Mail, from here

Windows Essentials: Other Programs - Microsoft Windows

and choose only the mail package in the installation. It has no compatibility problems, in Windows 8, that I am aware of. (I think this was the essence of the thread - an email program for windows 8?)

"So simple, even a child can do it!"

What would I do without forums like these? The installation was a piece of cake, and I even ended up with the 2012 version, relative to my former 2011 WLM. Many thanks for taking the time to respond to my queries.

Gordon
Houston, Texas

I had the same problem trying to e-mail a jpeg or a snip, I would get a message saying I did not have a default e-mail program.
I have been using outlook for a long time and like it but it was not an option when going to the "default programs associations". There was no e-mail client there at all. Finally after going through a few forums I gleaned that you had to install Microsoft Essentials to get windows live mail to come up as an option. So I did that, had it come up as an option, selected it as the default e-mail program, and I was off to the races. Just one problem, none of my contact info was contained therein. So I then realized that you had to sign in to windows live mail so your contact info would come up. Only one problem with that is when I try to sign in to "windows live mail" it just takes me to my outlook account and doesn't sign me into my "windows live mail account" which, of course has the same credentials. I did manage to sign into it once, and all the contact info was there when I tried to forward a snip or whatever, but I don't know how I did it, and, of course when I restart my computer, none of my contact info shows up. How do I get to the screen that allows me to sign in to my "windows live mail account", when I am already signed in to my outlook account and why do I have to sign in separately in order to get my contacts to come up when trying to send a snip?

Back
Top Bottom