Windows 7 Evga Geforce 7900 GT KO video problem w/64 bit

linthead76

I am runnig Evga Geforce 7900 GT KO on an ASRock Dual939 Sata2 motherboard, 4GB, 4200+ 939 CPU. I loaded the 64 bit version of Widows 7 (build 7000). When I open new windows in IE or in applications, My screen appears to loose horizontal sync and turns into 20-30 horizontal lines that slant upward from left to right. I also hear the cooling fan on the video card spin up to high speed. This will last about 45 seconds and then the display corrects and the video cooling fan slows down to a normal speed.

Also, when I shut down Windows 7 I hear the video cooling fan cycle fromnormal to fast speed 10 times after I see a black screen. After all of that then the computer shuts down or reboots depending upon the shutdown request.

All the nvidia driver updates have been performed as suggested by Windows Update.

I'm having a similar problem with my screen doing that same type of thing,
the one thing mine does that you didn't mention is that the screen flashes rapidly at the same time.
Also, mine does not fix its self; I have to restart windows.
Oddly, if I have more than one thing open when it happens if i alt tab the colors change as if it were opening that program.

It used to do it when I opened certain games back in winXP,
but I could fix it by just alt+tabing out and back into the game.
When I formatted my hdd to install w7 as my default OS it started happening all the time with many applications.

But it isn't random for me, it happens only with certain programs, ie. WEI (windows experience index), dxdiag

I have been useing my geforce 7900 gt/gto for a good 2 or 3 years

Also if it helps; A month or two ago (while useing winXP) I started noticing texture tares in games, and only recently before switching to w7 I've been haveing the issue OP is talking about. So I think my card was slowly dieing.

I have also read that the 7900 cards do tend to have issues after a few years, something having to do with voltage and what not.

sorry if this is a little long winded, its my first time posting, just want to help out as much as I can. also I do know this is a few months old, but I've been looking for a solution to this problem for about 2 days now.

Sorry for all the questions, but........
In order to troubleshoot your problem we need to know more detailed specs of your system hardware.

1. Go to Start > Run, and type msinfo32, look under the Components section for hardware identification
2. Go to Control Panel > Device Manager and look for any entry that has a yellow flag beside it
3. The manufacturer name and model number of your PC, if applicable
4 Please fill out your computers specs in the User Control Panel here on the site as well. It will then appear next to your name. look at my posting and you'll see the drop-down arrow.

Was it a "clean" install or an upgrade?
Are you dual-booting?
Are you suing the official RC directly from Microsoft?
Did this occur immediately after install?
Do you recall installing any software that may have caused the problem?
I would suggest you download the drivers directly from Nvidia's site as the EVGA card uses the same GPU.

[URL]http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7_winvista_64bit_186.18_whql.htmlGeForce/ION Driver Release 186 WHQL

Sorry for all the questions, but........
In order to troubleshoot your problem we need to know more detailed specs of your system hardware.

1. Go to Start > Run, and type msinfo32, look under the Components section for hardware identification
2. Go to Control Panel > Device Manager and look for any entry that has a yellow flag beside it
3. The manufacturer name and model number of your PC, if applicable
4 Please fill out your computers specs in the User Control Panel here on the site as well. It will then appear next to your name. look at my posting and you'll see the drop-down arrow.

Was it a "clean" install or an upgrade?
Are you dual-booting?
Are you suing the official RC directly from Microsoft?
Did this occur immediately after install?
Do you recall installing any software that may have caused the problem?
I would suggest you download the drivers directly from Nvidia's site as the EVGA card uses the same GPU.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7_w...f its 1280 x 768 or somewhere around there...

Last edited:
Good luck,

If you are offered a video driver by Microsoft (Windows Update) immediately after install, don't update it, see if it works correctly first.

Ok, I just finished reinstalling. I'll cut straight to it; no, the problem is still there.

I did notice something that I didn't notice the first time I installed(this is because I just left my comp on and left the room the first time). After it gets to the screen saying something like 'windows is preparing for first start', and then it prosedes to something along the lines of 'windows is checking video prefferences,' when it tries to go to the next screen, which I assume is something like a [click apply if you can read this message] screen my screen goes all crazy like in link I posted.

When I restart it goes through it fine but the issue is still there.

I'm going to put the card back into the orriginal pci slot and see if I can get it to work like last time.

Create a system restore point first.

If you have to update drivers, and you receive an error message, try the steps below

There are 2 ways to disable digital driver signature enforcement; the 1st way is using command-line tool cmd.exe to execute this command-line bcdedit.exe /set nointegritychecks ON , the 2nd method which is recommended is to disable it through Group Policy Object (GPO),

1. Start > Run > type GPEdit.msc

2. Enable and Ignore Code signing for drivers policy under User Configuration >
Administrative Templates > System > Driver Installation > Code signing for drivers

You can also use this command line (which apparently works in Vista from whose forum I obtained the command line):

bcdedit /set loadoptions DISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS

I can't recall who posted this otherwise I would give them the credit.

Help the same thing is happening to me!

Suspicious that the many people that are reporting this problem have similar PC builds-can not run dual monitors, opening picture viewer or new web pages gives these lines every time and they last 20-30 seconds. I have an AMD 3800+ with geforce 7900
Can anyone help me please?
Here is a picture of the screenLink Removed due to 404 Error

how to fix the lines (solved)

ive had the same issue it has been driving me nuts. i vnc into the windows 7 box so i could be on the console and change the resolution and all the display settings. turns out if i set the colors to 16bit the lines go away which also explains why the login screen still shows, if you have auto login hit windows key plus L and you will prob ge t a display. but running in 16bit is no fix. uninstall everything nvidia. when vista auto installs Microsoft drivers for the 7900 you should also be fine even in 32bit, thats fine but its not going to work for gaming. so basically uninstall all nvidia drives and download and install version 186.18 hopefully soon nvidia will create or update the newer drivers to work in 7 x64bit with a 7900 card.

running a xfx 7900 gt/otc card
windows 7 64bit ultimate
www.Keystonecorp.com

I have the same problem with similar hardware

7900gt
acer x223w monitor.
i5 quad core.

Still dont' know a fix. Please help if you have a solutino.

Thanks

workaround to geforce 7900 display problems in windows 7

I think I have a solution to the problems above. I've been having the same problems with my setup since the early beta release candidates of Windows 7.

The problem is with GeForce 7900 cards. I have 2 of these in my system. Windows 7 seems to freeze up with horizontal, vertical or diagonal bands. Re-booting the system will get you back to a viewable state, but this is no solution.

Getting the latest GeForce drivers from Nvidia, as of December 1, 2009 does not solve the problem. In fact it made the problem much worse. My default installation of Windows 7 resulted in 2 freezes over the period of 2 hours. After upgrading to the Nvidia drivers, I had 30 freezes during 1 hour.

As a side note - as you are fixing this - a re-boot wasn't needed for me. I simply disconnected the video cable from the video card, plugged it into one of the other video outputs and then back into the original. Doing this a couple of times will get you back into viewable mode and is much quicker than re-booting.

Anyway, a very good workaround is to use the Nvidia drivers, but reduce your color depth setting to 16-bit instead of 32-bit. Doing this - I've been quite stable. Nvidia needs to fix this ASAP however because I refuse to settle for 16-bit color. Changing the color depth can be done on the same configuration page as the screen resolution (Nvidia Control Panel).

Back