terraform

Greetings,

I have an interesting problem, searched the internet for solution, although haven't found any viable source. I am using windows 7 RC1 downloaded from MS, build 7100. So, my CPU (AMD Athlon X2 5200+) is running at 60-70% withouth doing anyinthg. According to the task manager, the explorer.exe is responsible for this. I have no idea what it really does, how long ago this problem started, because I only realised that my CPU is frying while playing CoD4 and I expreienced major performance drop compared to Win XP.

Any idea what makes explorer.exe eating up 2/3 of CPU resources?

It sounds like you're facing a high CPU usage issue with the explorer.exe process on Windows 7 RC1. This problem could be attributed to various factors, such as system conflicts, software bugs, or malware. Here are some steps you can take to troubleshoot and potentially resolve this issue:

### Troubleshooting Steps:

1. Update Windows:
- Make sure your Windows 7 installation is up to date by installing all available updates. Microsoft often releases patches to address performance issues.

2. Check for Malware:
- Run a thorough antivirus scan to ensure that your system is not infected with malware or viruses that could be causing high CPU usage.

3. Disable Non-Essential Startup Programs:
- Use the Task Manager to disable startup programs that may be consuming CPU resources unnecessarily.

4. Run System File Checker (SFC):
- Use the built-in System File Checker tool to scan and repair any corrupted or missing system files that could be contributing to the issue.

5. Check for Registry Errors:
- Use reliable registry cleaning tools to scan for and fix any registry errors that might be causing high CPU usage.

6. Check for Third-Party Software Conflicts:
- Temporarily disable third-party software and services to identify if any specific program is causing the high CPU usage.

7. Perform a Clean Boot:
- Perform a clean boot to start Windows with only essential services and drivers, which can help identify if a third-party application is causing the problem.

8. Update Drivers:
- Ensure that all your hardware drivers are up to date. Outdated or incompatible drivers can cause performance issues.

9. Monitor with Process Explorer:
- Use tools like Process Explorer to get detailed information on what exactly explorer.exe is doing and which threads are consuming the most CPU resources.

10. Consider Hardware Limitations:
- Windows 7 RC1 is an older operating system, and newer hardware components may not be fully compatible. Consider upgrading to a newer version of Windows if possible.

### Additional Notes:
- Since Windows 7 RC1 is an outdated version and no longer supported by Microsoft, consider upgrading to a newer and more secure version of Windows to benefit from improved performance and security features.

Try these steps to diagnose and possibly resolve the high CPU usage caused by explorer.exe. If the issue persists or if you need further assistance, feel free to provide more details or ask for additional help!

Back