Windows 7 Extending wireless network?

Gizibe

Hello all.

I was curious to know if anyone could give me suggestions on extending the wireless network broadcast throughout my house.

I have been using a wireless extender, however as to be expected it is not stable by any means. The central connection (my PC) is at the back of the house, meaning the upstairs rooms have a much weaker signal/connection and the extender doesn't do much in regards to that. The only other thing I've looked in to is a second router, as I know options are limited in this case. My only question with a second router is - how exactly does it extend the range if it is stationed next to my current router?

Thank you guys for your help!

I am using powerline adapters with an access point (an old spare wireless N router) at the other end of the powerline. What it does is it transmits internet signal through your existing electrical system. You can plug another router to any electrical outlet in your home. In other words, it is like an adapter that converts any electrical outlet into an ethernet port where you can directly plug any pc or another wireless router (in access point mode). Wireless extenders only expands your coverage but uses half of your bandwidth. I have 4 units of powerline adapter at home one of which has built-in wireless router (model TP-WPA 281) . The brand I am using is TP-Link. Tested and reliable. Learn more about it here:

http://www.tp-link.com/lk/products/details/?model=TL-PA211#over

Sent from my HTC One X using WindowsForum mobile app

Last edited:
Seems like a good investment for what you get. Thanks for the link, I really appreciate it. :)

So the concept is, one adapter directly connects to my existing router, while the second adapter will directly connect to a second router set as an access point somewhere else in the house? Just making sure I understand it fully!

From the video, NO....only one connects to the cable modem/DSL/Fiso modem....then the other connects to a AC outlet and the PC/laptop connects to the other TP-Link adapter thing. Pretty straight forward...thus bypass's the need for the access point.

So Badrobot...how does the speeds hold up with your set up

^Yeah, I understand how it works, but in regards to Badrobot's access point set up. I figured if I could get a better connection throughout the entire upstairs via an access point, it would be better than using the second adapter for only one PC.

You are both correct. You can do anything with it. You need a pair to start with. One is plugged in to an electrical outlet connected to the main router via ethernet cable and the other one can be placed anywhere in the house where there is an electrical outlet up to 300ft away.

Mine is set up in the living room where I have an ethernet switch connected to the other end and I have multiple devices plugged in--- a wireless router (as access point), a PS4 and an HTPC.

IMAG3187.jpg

You won't believe it @bassfisher6522 but the HTPC plugged in to the powerline adapter has faster internet connection (between 30 and 45MBps down) than my main PC on the computer room (25-35MBps down) . I don't understand that, too.

I have another powerline adapter in the master bedroom with built-in wireless router as another access point (and it also has ethernet port to connect a Smart TV directly). You can also plug it in the bathroom if you want...hahaha... Got another spare one when I need wired internet somewhere else in the house.

Below is the one with wireless router built-in:

IMAG3188.jpg

Last edited:
Back