Windows 10 Unable to get the same performance on different WIFI devices for LAN - Solved!

Johncoool

Extraordinary Member
I recently purchased a dual band range extender to boost the signal for one WIFI device that has poor coverage.

Both the main ISP router and the range extender are dual band.

I can still get better performance from the ISP router that is only at one bar signal strength than the range extender that is at 100% for that one device.

Over all. The range extender is working very well. Almost not losing any performance in normal internet usage and speed tests and in all other LAN file copying.

It is only failing for that one device that I bought it for, It is working at about 50KB/s. But working well with the ISP device.

I tried to change many settings but the best I could get is a good start for about 4 seconds then it would drop.

I don't know much about network configuration so I will need help getting it to work better.

I also tried it in different modes. Some were as a LAN device and not connected to the ISP router.

I get good performance on the same device if I use my phone hotspot mode.

*When I first bought the range extender. It did not allow the same device to connect at all to it. So I went back to the D Link agent and they updated the firmware for me.

Last edited:
Wireless networking performance has far less to do with network setting tweaks than it does with the wireless standard in use, the frequency range it's using, the physical environment the signal is propagating in and antenna placement.

Firsts things to determine:
what frequency range is the device using 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz
What standard is the device using 802.11a/b/g/n/ac etc

What is the distance from the device and the AP
What is in between the device and AP

Different materials can impact signal and even the shape of objects between devices

Thank you for responding!

I got the WIFI device in the summer. It uses 2.4Ghz. As per the manual it uses "Interface IEEE 802.11 b/g/n" It is a 2012 or 2014 WIFI drive enclosure.

I placed the all the devices next to each other for testing. So the PC is next to the range extender and next to the WIFI drive. All are at 100% signal strength.

I set the range extender to work without communicating with the main router. It is set up as an access point and working without internet for testing purposes.

I am able to get much better performance while connected to any other AP. Whether it would be my phone hotspot or the main router.

It also works as a hotspot device and can deliver 10 Mb/s speed for internet communication. The best performance it gets is when I am connected directly to it and it drops down to 80% when connected to most other Access points. But the new D link that I am trying to configure goes down to 50KB/s. Which less than 0.5 a Mb/s.

Last edited:
Sounds like it's operating on 802.11b, that's a problem. It's such an old standard and it's transmissions take up a lot of air time and can actually slow down the rest of your network that operates on 2.4Ghz. Also any other devices operating in the 2.4Ghz band can severely interfere with the signal causing it to slow down or require retransmission. Microwaves, electric motors, high amperage lightning, cordless phones can all cause problems

Wow you hit it right on the head.

I forced the range extender to work on G band and it got up to 8Mb/s.

N also gave me crap performance. B also got bad results.

Thanks for the tip.

Solved!

Back
Top Bottom