Windows 7 Failed update loop from hell

Vacuus

Hi everyone,

The other day my windows 7 desktop began automatically updating without warning. It reached 35% completion and stayed there for several hours. Upon restarting my computer it did the same thing, until finally after one of the restarts it gave me the 'failed to configure updates' message.

The problem is that even if I leave it for many hours the computer only gets to the shutting down step and will then remain there indefinitely without actually shutting down. I can access my computer with safe mode and have attempted a system restore, but the same thing essentially happens where it says it is restoring but I have left it for an hour + and nothing seems to be happening.

If anone could shed some light on this issue it would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Looks like you're getting the dreaded 80080005 error. This could be from malware or more likely corruption. You will want to try and repair Windows with sfc /scannow from an elevated command prompt. Upload the CBS log file after. C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log

Well actually looking at that again, that may have happened because you were in safe mode. Try renaming the Windows Update log, reboot and let the system go through the update loop once then reboot and grab the new log and upload. This will make it easier to troubleshoot.

Well actually looking at that again, that may have happened because you were in safe mode. Try renaming the Windows Update log, reboot and let the system go through the update loop once then reboot and grab the new log and upload. This will make it easier to troubleshoot.

Okay thanks, so the 'failure configuring update, reverting changes' will still show up in the update log? Because that's all I'm getting at this point.

It should.
Okay I'll try that, wouldn't it be the same log though since either way I've got to access it from safe mode?

Also do you think I should let it get to the shutdown phase (potentially could take several hours) or should I leave it for like 30 minutes and then reboot and check the log?

The other log has update data going back over a month. Renaming the log and letting the loop happen should give us just the data for the loop. I would let the loop complete all the way through once so we get all the log results for it.

The other log has update data going back over a month. Renaming the log and letting the loop happen should give us just the data for the loop. I would let the loop complete all the way through once so we get all the log results for it.
Wow so miraculously, on the restart I just did, I was given the option 'startup repair' , which actually apparently fixed it... bizzare...

Back