Windows 7 Far cry 2 issue - I can't solve it

Ghost

I am having trouble loading saved games in Far Cry 2. My saved games dont go into My documents/My games/Far cry 2/Saved games. Instead they go into folder Programfiles (x86)/Ubisoft/ࠀ̄/My games/Far cry 2/Saved games.

I tryed making the folder in My documents myslef but that didn't work. Its all runing as admin and compatibiy for Vista SP3

Windows Version

Windows 7 64bit - build 7100

If theres anything more info you may need to help dont hesitetate to ask me. I really wanna play this game

It also doesn't save multiplayer profiles and option settings (Controlls and so on)
Please help me if you can,
Thanks in advance

I am having trouble loading saved games in Far Cry 2. My saved games dont go into My documents/My games/Far cry 2/Saved games. Instead they go into folder Programfiles (x86)/Ubisoft/ࠀ̄/My games/Far cry 2/Saved games.

I tryed making the folder in My documents myslef but that didn't work. Its all runing as admin and compatibiy for Vista SP3

Windows Version

Windows 7 64bit - build 7100

If theres anything more info you may need to help dont hesitetate to ask me. I really wanna play this game

It also doesn't save multiplayer profiles and option settings (Controlls and so on)
Please help me if you can,
Thanks in advance

It might be something to do with permissions given the game needs to be able to read/write to the saved folder !

what was the exact error when you created your own folder and pointed the game to it ??

It might be something to do with permissions given the game needs to be able to read/write to the saved folder !

what was the exact error when you created your own folder and pointed the game to it ??

I only made the folder myself I didnt know how to tell the game to load the saves from it.

Also its true. I cant get the read/write to stay off each time I got back into it is still tells me that its read only. Maybe this is why?

How do I make it so it stays off read only permenetly?

I haven't got far cry 2 installed so am not familiar with or even know if possible to relocate the save folder, but in an attempt to half solve your problem if you want to alter permissions for the current save folder then right clik that folder and goto properties then security tab then select admin and look at what options are ticked ?

If its read only then click edit and tick the boxes and apply for that account then back out saying ok as you go ;)

let us know how you get on and if this solves it ??

I haven't got far cry 2 installed so am not familiar with or even know if possible to relocate the save folder, but in an attempt to half solve your problem if you want to alter permissions for the current save folder then right clik that folder and goto properties then security tab then select admin and look at what options are ticked ?

If its read only then click edit and tick the boxes and apply for that account then back out saying ok as you go ;)

let us know how you get on and if this solves it ??

Right ok.

I changed the perminsion and made it so everyone has full accsess to the folder.
but still nothing. It still wont stay off read only..

Last edited:
My user has full read / write permisions. But it still wont load or detect the game. And still wont let me change it from read only.. :(

Every user has full permisions except for CREATOR OWNER witch only has special permision that I cant change

Oddly enough, I installed Farcry 2 with no compatibility settings and all went well. Id back the saves up and reinstall.

My user has full read / write permisions. But it still wont load or detect the game. And still wont let me change it from read only.. :(

Every user has full permisions except for CREATOR OWNER witch only has special permision that I cant change

starting to sound like a far cry specific problem , maybe try reinstall with admin and pos compatibility mode :confused:

Hmm. Ok I'll try that. Maybe it was because when I first started up the game I didnt start as admin and it could make the folder in my documents (If that is defult for W7) So it made it in its program files folder where it cant load. Or maybe its not looking to load it from there. Who knows

Just a hunch. I didnt get that far on it anyway. I realised it wasn't saving the game after the first cut scene.

Wish there was a way to set it back to defult without re-installing though.

Oh well. here goes

Not far cry only

Ok after giving up on far cry I tryed playing some other games. I tryed ArmA2 and Hitman blood money. Both of them have problems saveing config files, profiles and saved games

What the hell is going on here?. This is a joke. I cant play any of my games.

There are no solutions on this online and the few other people that have had this problem have gone back to XP. I think I might do the same too soon if I cant get my head around this.

So far I have tryed to changing files from read only (Doesnt work still)

Changing permisions to folders

Changing who the folder belongs to.

Starting games as admin

But I'm still getting errors from games saying that they cant save. Its like they dont have accsess to the folders to save.

Last edited:
This is a common problem with any OS past XP it's a write permission thing.Changing the permissions doesn't usually help try running the game in compatibility mode for XP,(properties,compatibility tab) if a no go try troubleshoot compatibility from the context menu, when asked tell it the program needs elevated permissions.If all else fails a re install running the installer in XP mode should do the trick often there are many small applications besides the the game itself and only a reinstall will get it to work. I'm not a gamer but i have run into this problem with every video encoding/transcoding app i use because they were written for XP. You can sometimes change the data folders to a less secure location but it's honestly easier to reinstall or keep the dual boot.

I've played Far Cry 2, Left 4 Dead, Crysis, and Crysis Warhead and had no issues with any of them. But I am using the 32 bit OS.

Back