Windows 8 Fiber.js help

Ankt

Hi, I'm not sure why or how this has happened but, occasional a little box will pop up 'asking what i want to open this file with' without me actually clicking on anything. I can't remember what the main option was but the next time it pops up I will screen shot it and update! anyway when I click more options and then choose internet explorer it opens up the download box and shows that I'm actually about to download something called 'fiber.js.' Now I've looked online and this is a virus. however i have done countless scans on my laptop and they have come back with nothing. and apart from this popping up nothing bad is happening but I cant figure out why it keeps popping up and asking me to open the virus at what seems to be random points. Could anybody help? i would really appreciate it!

I've installed some anti-malware software in addition to my AVG. i did a scan and it came back with nothing. then when the little box asking me to open the fiber.js file came up it was flagged on my anti malware, it said that it was in my system32/tasks folder, so i went there to check it out (id already quarentined it on my anti malware) and there was another file called 'Dregor Tece' now i'd read that this was what the fiber.js download wants to install. but when i try to shred this file with my AVG it just crashes my AVG. so i think that by deleting this file my problem will be solved but how can i delete it?

DO NOT click on any of those links on my last reply, i think the virus i now have has put them there and it will give you malware stuff

hey, thanks for your help. It is a virus though. I did a scan with Spymaster and it showed Dregal.com as a virus on my pc, but you have to pay for the software in order to remove it as the free version only allows scans. but my AVG and other anti-malware isnt picking it up? so im not sure how to get rid of it now

I did a scan with Spymaster and it showed Dregal.com as a virus on my pc

1. dregal.com is a domain i.e. website address.
2. the only scan software I know named Spymaster is tracking software for phones but if you want to pay them money that's up to you mate.

If you want i can send a screen shot of the scan with the virus in?

If you want to, sure.

It's anti-malware software too, but no I'm not going to pay £20 for software that I'm only going to use once so that's why I made the thread to see if anyone else knew of a way to get rid of the virus (if you type dregol into Google you'll see all about the virus) but I'll probably just re-format today now

a browser hijacker is not a virus... re-formating your system will remove it but if you don't want to do that then this guide and this guide should also work.

For anti mal-ware that works well and is free try spybot if A-v-g doen't ring your bell any more... good luck with it, mate.

Hey Ankt, Dregol is a really questionable search engine that can easily show you forged search results. So, using it is dangerous because they can lead you to malicious websites. It is considered "browser hijacker", so that's why your security tool is picking it up.

Back