"Open file location" or “Save image as” opens to Desktop folder instead of target folder.

retexan599

(Newcomer to this forum)

Basically, trying to ‘save to a target folder’ or ‘open from a target folder’ goes to the Desktop folder instead of the target folder.

Examples:
  • Enter a file name in desktop search bar. List of possible files, desired file is in a target folder within another folder. Right click on desired file, then ‘Open file location’. Result is Desktop folder instead of target folder.
  • Right click on a folder from the Taskbar File Explorer jump list, it (as normal) gives me a list of Frequent folders I have used. Then, when I right click on one of the frequent folder names, I get the list. The first entry is ‘Open’; the second entry is ‘Open file location’. Left clicking on either of those entries opens the Desktop folder instead of the target folder.
  • When I am downloading an image from a browser (Save image as), I have selected the target location folder, but it defaults to the Desktop folder. This happens in both Chrome and Edge, each of which has a target folder (not Desktop) download location selected in their Settings section.
It seems like the target folder is momentarily opened (perhaps ½ second), then immediately closes and then the Desktop folder shows.

Additional test: When in File Explorer, say, Recent section, right clicking on the item, then Open file location does correctly take me to the Target folder (not to the Desktop folder). And after searching for an item within File Explorer, right clicking on the item, then Open file location works properly (takes me to the Target file location).

So, within File Explorer, Open file location works ok, but outside of File Explorer, Open file location defaults to the Desktop folder instead of target location.

Would appreciate any hints as to why this is happening on Windows 11; did not happen with Windows 10.

Hello and welcome to the forum! It sounds like you're experiencing an issue where the "Open file location" or "Save image as" function opens to the Desktop folder instead of the target folder. This can be frustrating, but there are a few things you can try to troubleshoot and fix the problem.

One possible cause of this issue is incorrect folder settings. To check and adjust your folder settings, you can follow these steps:

1. Open File Explorer by pressing the Windows key + E.
2. Click on "View" at the top of the File Explorer window.
3. In the "Show/hide" section, make sure the "Hidden items" checkbox is checked.
4. In the "Options" section, click on the "Options" button.

This will open the "Folder Options" window.

5. In the "General" tab, make sure the "Open File Explorer to:" drop-down menu is set to "This PC" or "Quick access" instead of "Desktop". Click "Apply" and then "OK" to save the changes.

If this doesn't resolve the issue, another possible cause could be related to the shortcuts you're using. Sometimes, shortcuts can become corrupted or point to the wrong location. To fix this, you can try creating new shortcuts for the folders or files you want to open.

To create a new shortcut, follow these steps:

1. Navigate to the target folder or file in File Explorer.
2. Right-click on the folder or file and select "Send to" and then "Desktop (create shortcut)".

This will create a new shortcut on your desktop. Try using this new shortcut to see if it opens to the correct target folder.

If the issue persists, it's possible that there may be a compatibility issue with Windows 11. In this case, it may be helpful to check for any available updates for your operating system or any related software that you're using. Updating to the latest versions can often resolve compatibility issues and provide bug fixes.

I hope these suggestions help you resolve the issue with opening or saving files to the target folder. Let me know if you have any further questions or if there's anything else I can assist you with!

Hello and welcome to the forum! It sounds like you're experiencing an issue where the "Open file location" or "Save image as" function opens to the Desktop folder instead of the target folder. This can be frustrating, but there are a few things you can try to troubleshoot and fix the problem.

One possible cause of this issue is incorrect folder settings. To check and adjust your folder settings, you can follow these steps:

1. Open File Explorer by pressing the Windows key + E.
2. Click on "View" at the top of the File Explorer window.
3. In the "Show/hide" section, make sure the "Hidden items" checkbox is checked.
4. In the "Options" section, click on the "Options" button.

This will open the "Folder Options" window.

5. In the "General" tab, make sure the "Open File Explorer to:" drop-down menu is set to "This PC" or "Quick access" instead of "Desktop". Click "Apply" and then "OK" to save the changes.

If this doesn't resolve the issue, another possible cause could be related to the shortcuts you're using. Sometimes, shortcuts can become corrupted or point to the wrong location. To fix this, you can try creating new shortcuts for the folders or files you want to open.

To create a new shortcut, follow these steps:

1. Navigate to the target folder or file in File Explorer.
2. Right-click on the folder or file and select "Send to" and then "Desktop (create shortcut)".

This will create a new shortcut on your desktop. Try using this new shortcut to see if it opens to the correct target folder.

If the issue persists, it's possible that there may be a compatibility issue with Windows 11. In this case, it may be helpful to check for any available updates for your operating system or any related software that you're using. Updating to the latest versions can often resolve compatibility issues and provide bug fixes.

I hope these suggestions help you resolve the issue with opening or saving files to the target folder. Let me know if you have any further questions or if there's anything else I can assist you with!
None of the above suggestions worked, the problem persists.

None of the above suggestions worked, the problem persists.
I apologize for the inconvenience. If the previous suggestions did not resolve the issue, there are a few more troubleshooting steps you can try:

1. Reset File Explorer settings: Open File Explorer, click on "View" at the top, and then click on "Options." In the "View" tab, click on the "Reset Folders" button, and then click "Apply" and "OK" to save the changes. This will reset the File Explorer settings to their default values.

2. Create a new user account: Sometimes, user profile issues can cause these types of problems. Try creating a new user account and see if the issue persists when using the new account. If the problem doesn't occur in the new account, it may indicate that there is an issue with your original user profile. You can migrate your files and settings to the new account and continue using it.

3. Perform a system file check: Open the Command Prompt as an administrator by right-clicking on the Start button and selecting "Command Prompt (Admin)" or "Windows PowerShell (Admin)." Then, type the following command and press Enter: "sfc /scannow" This command will scan for and repair any corrupted system files that may be causing the issue.

4. Check for software conflicts: Sometimes, conflicts with third-party software can cause issues with file operations. Try temporarily disabling any third-party antivirus, firewall, or other security software you have installed and see if the issue persists. If the problem goes away, you may need to configure your security software or consider uninstalling it and finding an alternative.

If none of these steps resolve the issue, it may be a more complex problem that requires further investigation. You could consider reaching out to Microsoft support or posting in other Windows-related forums to see if other users have experienced a similar problem and found a solution.

I hope one of these suggestions helps you resolve the issue. Let me know if you have any further questions or if there's anything else I can assist you with!

I apologize for the inconvenience. If the previous suggestions did not resolve the issue, there are a few more troubleshooting steps you can try:

1. Reset File Explorer settings: Open File Explorer, click on "View" at the top, and then click on "Options." In the "View" tab, click on the "Reset Folders" button, and then click "Apply" and "OK" to save the changes. This will reset the File Explorer settings to their default values.

2. Create a new user account: Sometimes, user profile issues can cause these types of problems. Try creating a new user account and see if the issue persists when using the new account. If the problem doesn't occur in the new account, it may indicate that there is an issue with your original user profile. You can migrate your files and settings to the new account and continue using it.

3. Perform a system file check: Open the Command Prompt as an administrator by right-clicking on the Start button and selecting "Command Prompt (Admin)" or "Windows PowerShell (Admin)." Then, type the following command and press Enter: "sfc /scannow" This command will scan for and repair any corrupted system files that may be causing the issue.

4. Check for software conflicts: Sometimes, conflicts with third-party software can cause issues with file operations. Try temporarily disabling any third-party antivirus, firewall, or other security software you have installed and see if the issue persists. If the problem goes away, you may need to configure your security software or consider uninstalling it and finding an alternative.

If none of these steps resolve the issue, it may be a more complex problem that requires further investigation. You could consider reaching out to Microsoft support or posting in other Windows-related forums to see if other users have experienced a similar problem and found a solution.
Of the above suggestions, the only one that worked was creating a new user account. I created a new user account; in the new account the problem does not occur. I am reluctant to go to the trouble of migrating all my old account information to the new account. Is there a way to repair my old, existing account?

Of the above suggestions, the only one that worked was creating a new user account. I created a new user account; in the new account the problem does not occur. I am reluctant to go to the trouble of migrating all my old account information to the new account. Is there a way to repair my old, existing account?
If creating a new user account resolved the issue, that suggests there may be an issue with your original user account. While there is no guaranteed way to repair a user account, you can try a few additional steps to see if they help resolve the problem:

1. Run a malware scan: Malware or viruses can sometimes cause unexpected behavior on your system. Run a thorough scan with a trusted antivirus program to ensure your system is free from any malicious software.

2. Update your drivers: Outdated or incompatible drivers can sometimes cause issues with file operations. Visit the website of your computer's manufacturer or the individual hardware components (e.g., graphics card, network adapter) to download and install the latest drivers.

3. Perform a system restore: If the issue started recently, you can try using System Restore to revert your computer back to a previous state when the problem was not occurring. Keep in mind that this will undo any changes made to your system since the chosen restore point, so be sure to back up any important files before proceeding.

4. Repair Windows using an installation media: You can try using an Windows installation media or recovery drive to repair your installation of Windows. Boot from the installation media and select the "Repair your computer" option. From there, you can choose "Startup Repair" or access other troubleshooting tools that may help resolve the issue.

If none of these steps resolve the issue, it may be best to consider migrating your files and settings to the new user account that you created. This will ensure that you can continue using your computer without issues. While it may involve some effort, it could be the most efficient solution in the long run.

I hope one of these suggestions helps you repair your existing user account. If not, you can also consider reaching out to Microsoft support for further assistance or seeking help from other Windows-related forums.

The problem has been going on for some time, so a Windows Restore is unlikely to help, since I don't know when it started.
I checked the drivers and they all seem to be up to date. I am reluctant to try a 'Repair Windows' action, for fear that it may cause new problems worse than what I have. I may try migrating the files and settings to the new user account as you suggest, but that seems like a big step to correct the rather inconvenient problem I originally described.

Back