Windows 7 File manager that works in Windows 7

PKFFW

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone can recommend an alternative file management program to windows explorer that works with Windows 7.

Ones I've tried include..
1: xplorer2 - Shuts down whenever I try renaming files. Will usually rename the first couple and then shut down.
2: FreeCommander - Has the same problem as above but locks up and has to be shut down by using task manager. Also locks up when extracting zip files.
3: PowerDesk 7 - Shuts down whenever I right click on either the C or D drives. Not really sure if this is a bug or not because I can right click on every other item with no problems.

I just need a fairly simple manager with dual panes, a clean interface, is low on resource use and most of all is STABLE under windows 7.

Suggestions?

Cheers,
PKFFW

You don't mention why you dislike Windows explorer?

If it is mainly down to the dual pane option, this can be easily achieved, but maybe not what you are looking for.
First postion Windows explorer to the left of the screen, to make space. Now right click the root, or whatever you wish in your dual pane and click "Open in New Window"

If you wish, you can skip the "postion to left... suggestion. After you have selected your double explorer, right clcik the task bar and select "Show windows stacked" or, "Side by side"

Last edited:
All File Managers work perfectly for me.

I use Powerdesk 6 and it performs great.
I have been using PD 6 for years now and have always had a minor issue with it. When I close it down it closes but still remains running. So when I go to open it again(without having shutdown and restarted the computer in the intervening time) it doesn't actually open up and I have to go into the task manager and shut it down via the processes tab before it will start again. A couple of friends and my dad have all had the same problem. It was annoying and that's why I've been looking around at others.
reghakr said:
Thanks, will give both of them a look.
reghakr said:
Do you have any other issues with your computer?
Had some trouble with installing RNDIS drivers that I'm still trying to work out. Other than that, nothing that I'm aware of yet.

Cheers,
PKFFW

In Device Manager, do you have any entries with a yellow flag?
I have an ebook reader that is linux based and uses SSH to transfer files from the computer to the reader. When I have that plugged in it comes up as an RNDIS device and it has a yellow flag. Otherwise, no.

Under WinXP I used a linux.inf file to install the generic RNDIS drivers that came with WinXP but the file doesn't work under windows 7. I've tried searching for drivers, installing windows mobile device centre(which apparently comes with RNDIS drivers), trouble shooting and everything else I could think of to work that one out all to no avail. Once I update my motherboard BIOS I'm going to set up Windows Virtual PC and run Virtual XP mode whenever I need to transfer files to the reader.

Unless you have any easy suggestions on fixing the RNDIS problem?

Cheers,
PKFFW

Back