Windows 7 Fixing corrupted user profile

lshe

Hi,
I'm trying to fix my user profile by following the steps in the following page:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/fix-corrupted-user-profile#1TC=windows-7

When I get to point 7:
  1. Select all of the files and folders in this folder, except the following files:
    • Ntuser.dat
    • Ntuser.dat.log
    • Ntuser.ini
I find I've got multiple Ntuser.dat.LOG files
e.g Ntuser.dat.LOG1, Ntuser.dat.LOG2 and about 10 more...also I the Ntuser.ini file seems to be missing.

Any ideas why this is, should I still select all of the files in the folder except these ones and copy them across?
Many thanks

I would say if it doesn't want the most current file, that it would not want the earlier versions either. But I have not done the process.

I suppose since you do not need to copy over the ntuser.ini file you don't need it, but the fact it is missing may be, as Bassfisher might be wondering, if that is your problem. On both my Windows 7 and Windows 8 systems the file is present, but shows as empty when I edit it. Since you have the "Show protected System Files" enabled, if you do not see ntuser.ini, you might open notepad and just save it as ntuser.ini in that directory or save the blank notepad file as a .txt and change the extension to .ini. Maybe it will solve your problem.

Hi,
Thanks very much for your replies. I get an error message when trying to log in - "The User Profile Service failed the logon. User profile cannot be loaded” - I had this message a few months ago and that time, I did a system restore and this worked, however when i tried this again this time it didn't work for some reason! So I'm trying this way to copy over the files to my back up profile now...I'm not sure if its the best thing to do but I didn't want to go into changing the directory as I really don't want to mess about with this as I don't want to do something wrong as I don't know what i'm doing!
I'm sorry, having another look I've now found the ntuser.ini file which IS there, sorry about that. I'm not sure however about the multiple other files - should I have a go and not copy them over? I'm not sure how much can go wrong if this doesn't work!
Many thanks for your help.

Back