Windows 11 flash drive format

Peterr

Fantastic Member
I do not understand formatting with different operating systems.
An example would be using a flash drive in my computer running windows 11 and formatting it at the default which is fat 32.
Then I insert in either a Chromebook or a MacBook or Linux each having different operating systems. When my business is done there do I reformat it before I eject or do I eject it after?
The problem I have is if I eject it from a machine + insert it in my pc it seems like it was oddly formatted in the previous machine being a Chromebook or MacBook. When I put it in my pc it seems corrupted and I can't find it.
Is there a way to use the same flash drive in my pc and other OS's even Linux without having the formatting corrupted? I thought exfat would work.
I thought I could insert it in my pc and reformat it but I cannot even find it. I used a third party tool which was great at cleaning and formatting the drive but highly loaded with junk. Do you use a different format for different machines?
So how do I use it in my pc then use it in a different OS without corrupting the drive? I tried to put some information from my pc to my child's Chromebook but although I could when I ejected it, it seemed corrupted. Disc management did not help to locate it.

Not all operating systems understand all formats. Leave it as fat32 most operating systems understand it. You'll need to go in disk management on Windows to format it

I agree, and will do as you say.
The reason I wrote is that the last time I placed the flash drive from windows into an other operating system, disc management or nothing could show it or format it.
Someone told me to delete the volume in disc management.
Would that make any sense?

Back
Top Bottom