Windows 7 Flight Simulator X, anyone installed?

Yes, I have installed it on the x64 version.
It runs at least as well as it does on XP.

It is not compatible with Aero, though, so Aero will be turned off when the game starts and restarted when you exit the game.

Yeah, it does that on Vista too. How do you load your rewards? I backed up all my Rewards and missions, I've put it in the directory I think it goes in....

I backed up "Licenses" and "Rewards" from the main MFSX directory and "Flight Simulator X Files" in users\Documents. I put these files in their much needed to be in folder and the game shows me as stating over, wtf.

Hello,
I tried to install FSX on Windows 7, with all my addons:
Acceleration, FS Global, UTX Europe, Switzerland Pro, REX, Aersoft scenery
My firsts tests are not very good... I have the same fps as with XP SP3.
I will try more tests and settings.

yer it works the same(maybe better) than xp - i think - but dont no - that fsx works slightly faster in windows 7 than vista

But you hardley notice the difference

Last edited:
Hey. I have Windows 7 x64 build 7000. Tried to install FSX and Acceleration (Expansion pack). After FSX was done, I opened it to activate. That worked fine. Then I installed Acceleration, now, its coming up with this "You don't have the current version of directx, please update to 9. I checked dxdiag, I have DX11 installed. Is there any fix or patch coming? Has anyone else even experienced this? I checked google and other forums and haven't seen anything like this.

thats intresting............
Have you tried downgrading to the previous version. because mine works fine i have 11 -i think, try going back to the one it asks for 9 - download it from microsoft

if that doesn't work try reinstalling fsx

by downgrading do you mean to directx 10 or 9? Also, do you have the acceleration expansion?
yes by downgrading i mean going to 10 or 9
No i don't have expantion pack,but im getting it
These r the things i would recomend you to do,
1.install the directx 9. (If it doesn't work goto 2)
2 Uninstall fsx and then just install fsx normal (without expantion pack) and see if that works, (If it doesn't work then goto 3)
3 I'm getting the expantion pack and if mine doesn't work then ill sent microsoft an email - until then we don't know if it's just your system or a error on everbody's system, (or directx!)
ill keep u updated

Last edited:
I have the same issue. I was runnnig FSX on WinXP prior but I have FSX installed on it's on HD by itself. I am running Windows7 x64 now, tried loading up FSX and am getting the directx9 message. Upon checking I do have directx11 installed. I'd like to avoid reinstalling FSX right now with all my addons and such.

FSX is faster for me on Win 7

I have Windows 7 Ultimate running on the following hardware...

Gigabyte EX58-UD3R motherboard
Intel Core i7 920
2GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3
GeForce 8800GTX
TrackIR 4 Pro
... various hard drives, optical drive, yada yada yada...

... and I can honestly say that my performance in FSX has easily DOUBLED compared to WinXP and DX9!

Seriously, it's like I've rediscovered FSX all over again. I can't tell you all the detail settings off the top of my head because I'm at work currently, but here's how I used to run it under WinXP and DX9. (The basics.)

....Video settings....
Display resolution: 1680x1050 32bit
AA: 4x (forced ON at the driver level)
AF: application controlled (ON in FSX)
Triple Buffering: ON
Force Vertical Sync: ON

.....FSX settings.....
Global Texture Detail : Max
Detail radius: Small
Terrain Mesh Detail: 50
Terrain Resolution: 76m
Water: Mid 1.x
Aircraft: full 3d cockpit and all options ON except "aircraft casts shadows on itself"
Cloud draw distance: 60 mi. (detailed 3D clouds ON)
Scenery casts shadows: OFF
Scenery complexity: Normal (sometimes I'd set it to "Sparse" if flying over major cities)
Autogen density: Normal (sometimes I'd set it to "Sparse" if flying over major cities)
ZERO AI air traffic
ZERO ships
ZERO ground traffic (airport & road)

Sometimes I would turn the autogen up to "Dense" if I was flying out in the wilderness, like Alaska or whatever.

With those settings, I was LUCKY if I could squeeze out 20-30 fp/s in areas like Seattle, Denver, Miami, etc. Most of the time, it constantly fluctuated between 5 and 25 fp/s. I'd say the average was somewhere in the high teens. Out in the rural areas, I could get closer to 30 fp/s, but it still wasn't very consistent. (I had my framerate locked at 30 fps.) The general idea is that I was constantly just getting by with mild detail settings and just learning to live with the mediocre frame rates. If I ever got 30 fp/s consistently for any reason, it was like a "Wow! Lookit that!" sort of moment.

Now, I just reinstalled FSX the other day, installed both the service packs for it and installed my SceneryTech North America Landclass package...... and with those same settings as listed above, flying over Seattle, my framerate in FSX varies between 35 and 60 fp/s with the framerate lock set to "Unlimited".

If I lock it down to 40 fp/s, I can turn the Scenery Complexity and Autogen up to "Very Dense" and it will stay at or near 40 fp/s consistently. If I'm out in the rural areas, I have no trouble with cranking the Autogen up to "Extremely Dense". (Trying that on DX9 and XP, would have guaranteed me a slideshow of single-digit framerates.) The wild variating in the framerates is GONE. I also no longer see the ground textures scrambling to switch between low and high res as I look around the cockpit. I've added only about 5% to the AI air traffic, 10% to ground (airport) traffic and about 5% to ships and leisure boats but I am seeing slightly less consistent framerates with those settings. I also bumped up the Terrain Mesh from 50 to 75, my Cloud Draw Distance from 60mi. to 80mi, and the Water Detail from Mid 1.x to High 2.x. (Actually, I prefer the Mid 2.x).

Even though I'm far from maxed out and I'm sure it would go back to the slower framerates if I did max everything out, DX10/11 and Windows 7 gives me MUCH more "play room" when tweaking the graphics settings. And I haven't even tried some of the external file tweaks that are possible yet!

Thus, Windows 7 and DX10/11 definately get a huge thumbs up from me with FSX!

- S -

I don't know if it's my imagination. But framerates have increased, along with smooth transitions between windows. My weather looks better also. I run FlightSimcommander, FSCOPILOT and ASX at the same and switching 'tween is so much better.

Just something

Does your CPU's support 64bit processing? How much RAM do you guys have available? Basically what I am trying to make clear here is that every machine will be different to the next.

Dual core or quad core machines will have most certainly different FPS.

Addons will affect the response time loading, mmmm.

My machine:
5.0 Ghz AMD 64bit
4 Gig OCZ 800 Mhz RAM
120 Gig SATA HDD
320 Gig SATA HDD
9600GT 512MB pushing 256bits
17inch Samsung CRT monitor
Logitech joystick

My machine gives me around 25 FPS with most of my sliders close to halfway. I will update this post with proper settings from my machine.

Happy simming.;):p:)

Many people are making posts on how well the performance of Win7 is compared to Vista or XP. It isn't. There have been several benchmarks testing Vista en Win 7 and they perform just as good, not better nor worst.
It's a clear case of Imago, it's a clear case of a very good operating PR-team at the side of MS.
Never the less i'm having fun using Win7.
However there are some major problems in the combination of Win7 and FSX.
# 1 is adding scenery.
world>scenery library> add [.your scenery place]
What happens is that when you click OK when adding scenery, you go 1 level down, so from let's say a folder called KLAX [for LA airport] some where on your HD you go a level down and see the scenery folder. Now you can click OK as many times as you like but you won't go any where.
The solution is simple: after you've clicked ok when reaching the KLAX folder, in the next frame you will have to click in the open space next to the scenery folder [or somewhere in that window] and tadaaaah there's your scenery.
More troublesome is the fact that you could get an CTD when you try to open one of the menues whilst flying. Win7 wil be starting puzzeling to find out what's going on and come up with a message that it has to close FSX. :mad: Never had that one in Vista before, nor in XP.
One more for the record: everything freezes when you change a setting in the default GPS [from 20 NM to 500nm for instance] Just when you start getting worried that you've got another CTD it moves on. :(
My system: i7 -950 / Win7 64bits, 6Gb ram, Nvidia 9800 [my GTX 250 broke down and is on it's way back to me] 900w power. RAID10 [1TB]
So IMHO Win7 isn't that good, Vista 64 bits is better [for FSX]

I have Windows 7 Ultimate running on the following hardware...

Gigabyte EX58-UD3R motherboard
Intel Core i7 920
2GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3
GeForce 8800GTX
TrackIR 4 Pro
... various hard drives, optical drive, yada yada yada...

... and I can honestly say that my performance in FSX has easily DOUBLED compared to WinXP and DX9!

Seriously, it's like I've rediscovered FSX all over again. I can't tell you all the detail settings off the top of my head because I'm at work currently, but here's how I used to run it under WinXP and DX9. (The basics.)

....Video settings....
Display resolution: 1680x1050 32bit
AA: 4x (forced ON at the driver level)
AF: application controlled (ON in FSX)
Triple Buffering: ON
Force Vertical Sync: ON

.....FSX settings.....
Global Texture Detail : Max
Detail radius: Small
Terrain Mesh Detail: 50
Terrain Resolution: 76m
Water: Mid 1.x
Aircraft: full 3d cockpit and all options ON except "aircraft casts shadows on itself"
Cloud draw distance: 60 mi. (detailed 3D clouds ON)
Scenery casts shadows: OFF
Scenery complexity: Normal (sometimes I'd set it to "Sparse" if flying over major cities)
Autogen density: Normal (sometimes I'd set it to "Sparse" if flying over major cities)
ZERO AI air traffic
ZERO ships
ZERO ground traffic (airport & road)
- S -

Interesting, My setup is very much like your with a few exceptions. In my case, I am running the following:

Windows 7 Pro 64bit
Gigabyte GA-EP54-UD3LR motherboard
2 Gig of DDR3 ram
I am using a Core 2 Duo F8400
I also have an Nvidia video card (9800GTX)

With these few differences I am running Flight Sim X with everything set up Ultra High. My frame rates are about 30. The game looks fantastically good. The issue for me is software.

It appears that there Microsoft has sort of neglected good compatibility with add-ons to its own products. Aside from Flight Sim itself, I am using a few addons:

Flight 1 Ground Environment X
Just Flight Traffic
Flight Sim Accelerator X
Just Flight C-130
Flight Club

I have yet to have a successful installation of all these applications. Flight Sim X works with a cretin combination of these packages installed, but not all at once. I am still working to test which order these items can be installed so they do not prevent Flight Sim X from loading.

This is becoming a real pain in the ass. I am beginning to regret that I ever purchased Windows 7.
If any of you has discovered how to get various addons to work with Flight Sim X running under Windows 7 64bit, I would love to hear it.

Hi -- Under the SETTINGS\DISPLAY\GRAPHICS menu item in FSX there is a check box asking if you want to try DX-10. Checking that box improved the speed, quality and smoothness of my FSX with the X-Accelerator add-on. I suspect that that actually reverted back to DX-10 (or possibly 9C), which is what FSX was designed-to. The same problem, except actually the opposite occurrs in my FS9.1 sim. I think FS9 wants DX9c and cannot work right using the DX-11 that Windows 7 came out with. We need a DX switch on these sims :). I'm running the 32 bit version of win7.
Jaybird78...

FSX and Direct X

Yes, I have installed it on the x64 version.
It runs at least as well as it does on XP.

It is not compatible with Aero, though, so Aero will be turned off when the game starts and restarted when you exit the game.

Hi Moosetek --- hey, getting ready to install Win7-64 and saw your post here. Did you have any problems with Direct X ??? Reason I am asking is that Win7 puts in DX11 --- and I have not seen any information about compatibility with Flight Simulator X and DX11 or if you had to retro your Direct X back to DX9 ????

What say? Very interested in your experience....Many Thanks --- Bob :D

Need Help!!!

I have Direct X 11 on computer (Windows 7 x64bit) and the first time i installed it the game took ages to load and now it doesnt load atol it just stayes at the flight screen with no error message or nothing and i load it up with the second disk in the drive because thats what was in when i installed it and played it but i have left it for a while and dont know how to fix it

please help

P.S i have not uninstalled it i have just repaired it (Which is basically uninstall and reinstall)

try removing the FSX cfg. Either manualy or with shft+enter [hold shft + enter while loading]
It does take ages to load FSX so maybe you should try to wait it out
[geta cup of coffee, walk around the house, after 15 mins if it's not loaded yet, scream, wait 5 mins more and then take further action]
Try to open FSX from the Kiosk exe in FSX's main folder. Can you fly? Save game. Doesn't work either?
then
1 remove fsx-cfg
2 [if 1 doesn't work] reinstall > repair option.
3 repair didn't work: uninstall, reboot, clean up the win7 registry with a program such as Glary Utilities [free]
Reboot
4 completely reinstall FSX >?
[if FSX asks you to install directx options, let it do so. Windows can hold more then 1 version of DX]
Good luck

Back