Windows 10 FN/F9 age old problem

Druker

Honorable Member
I've got an FN/F9 problem in that I cannot disable the mousepad on this G750JW Asus Rogue. I very seldom shut this laptop off and so I just picked up on its yesterday. I can say the problem wasn't there a week or so ago.
I can do a troubleshoot on the AsusTPLauncher.exe and it says 'incompatible program - fixed' and it solves the problem till I reboot the machine. I've uninstalled the ATK package, reinstalled it and still a no go. I have not put a new program on the computer since for ever so not sure what's up with that.
I've uninstalled the Touchpad driver, rebooted the computer and still this did not help. This is not the first time I've experienced this problem but it's been so long ago now, I can't remember how I overcome it.
If there is something someone knows about as to overcoming this, let me know. A no response means everyone is as stumped as I am.

• Press [Windows key + i]
  • Go to Devices
  • Touchpad
  • Uncheck "Leave touchpad on when a mouse is connectd"

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, there is no 'Leave touchpad on when a mouse is connected'. There is a 'Touchpad sensitivity' but nothing else.

1909 has the setting, I don't know if it's on older versions. You can also use Asus Smart Gesture software to disable the touchpad.

This is what I see
1585856515897.png

Could be a vendor specific thing. You could always just disable the touchpad in Device Manager too. It may just register as a "mouse" you'd need to right click each listed "mouse" and look at the hardware ID to figure out which is the touchpad, or just disable one and see if that is it, rinse and repeat

That is not there on mine whatsoever. This is beginning to get more weird.

Ok sir, here's what I did. In the Smart Gesture, there is the option of checking off to disable the mousepad when an external mouse is plugged in or used as a wireless mouse. Checking it off did zero. Actually, I've tried that before but thought I'd do it again. But of course, it still had no positive effect. So I've gone to Control Panel to uninstall Asus Smart Gesture & I see a 'Repair' so I did just that, a repair. Upon rebooting the machine, the mousepad remains disabled. I can now enable it or disable it with the F9 and all seems to work flawlessly. One might say I made a mistake and did it right. At least you can use this for someone else who might wind up enjoying the same grief.

Bochane, can you figure out why I am not seeing "Leave touch pad on when a mouse is not connected" in Settings / Devices / Touchpad? I've got the latest Windows 10 update and yet as Neemobeer has shown in his picture, he has it and yet I don't.

And suddenly once again, there is absolute silence! 🖐🖐🖐
Please, in this part of the world we sleep.... :D

Bochane, can you figure out why I am not seeing "Leave touch pad on when a mouse is not connected" in Settings / Devices / Touchpad? I've got the latest Windows 10 update and yet as Neemobeer has shown in his picture, he has it and yet I don't.
You removed/disabled the device, hence windows detects no touchpad and my guess is it won't show you options you can't use?

Oh my, please tell me I didn't wake you up with that previous post. :aww:
As to a removed / disabled device, I did uninstall the Touchpad driver but as you know, upon rebooting that is simply reinstalled again. Anyway, while normal people were sleeping, I found out why the "Leave touch pad on when a mouse is not connected" isn't showing. It's because I don't have what is called Precision Touchpad. I hadn't heard of that before & since I use an external mouse with this laptop, I had no need to know.
Earlier I found it strange when Neemobeer (who still must be in a light coma) posted that picture, that this particular option wasn't showing in my Settings. Whatever, the great mystery has been solved.
Now you can go back and have a nap to catch up on this disturbed sleep I so kindly brought on! :sohappy:

Last edited:
Just to be clear with a few things. Being pushy or rude will likely get you less help.
  1. This site has no affiliation with Microsoft.
  2. No one is employed with the site (it is 100% people volunteering)
Going back to the System Settings and why that option is missing. The new immersive control panel (aka System Settings) is not really documented and with out probably digging into it's code it would be difficult to tell you why you don't have that option.

Some thoughts on that.
  • Your device touchpad may not support some option it looks for and therefore doesn't show that option
  • You may be missing a driver update for the touch pad that would allow that setting to work
  • Power options may not be configured to allow it

Then do permit me to be clear about several things! Looking through my postings here, I was seriously wondering 'where was I rude'? The only place I can think of where someone who is overly sensitive & misses being light hearted is my profound statement, 'And suddenly once again, there is absolute silence!' If this is the one, my apologies for throwing you off kilter!
As to this forum 'being affiliated with Microsoft' ... I don't really think I stated that nor did I think it. But I would drift over here for a Microsoft issue instead of an Apple one. Nor did I state nor think anyone here worked for Microsoft although to be sure, how would I know?

Furthermore, you say "Going back to the System Settings and why that option is missing. The new immersive control panel (aka System Settings) is not really documented and with out probably digging into it's code it would be difficult to tell you why you don't have that option." (end quote)

Neemobeer, thank you for your thoughts but I just stated in my last posting why I did not see "Leave touch pad on when a mouse is not connected" Did you not see that?
I had previously wrote ... "I found out why the "Leave touch pad on when a mouse is not connected" isn't showing. It's because I don't have what is called Precision Touchpad. (end my own quote)

Thank you again for your suggestions and efforts. Much appreciated sir!

Back
Top Bottom