Windows 8 Folder & File structure of Windows 8.1: This PC vs Local Disk (C:) > Users

Should Microsoft be allowed to force people into upgrading to their newest OS without real reason?

• Yes

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • No

Votes: 5 83.3%
  • Depends -- What are we considering a "real" reason?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

BrokenWindowPains

Hey all,

I'm in the process of organizing the data explosion that are my files and folders and until recently had been using the "Library" focused Windows 7. I'm working with a different PC now which has Windows 8.1 as its OS. I'm a little confused by 8.1's lack of "Library" filing structure but also and more importantly, it seems like they just took the libraries win 7 was big on and relocated them, now existing as sub-folders under directly under "This PC", as if each library were a disk unto itself.

I'm organizing my PC data because I'm looking to back it up and then restore it onto a new hard drive so here is my question: Which location should I be consolidation and organizing my files and folders within: "This PC > Relevant Folder or "Local Disk (C:) > Users > Me > Relevant Folder" ?

I'm a little confused by 8.1's lack of "Library" filing

Microsoft says their customers tell them that they don't want it. I personally find it very useful because you can map to more than one location but in any event…. The library is still there;

Right click a blank part of the left panel and there is a show library option

Screenshot (49).png

I'm organizing my PC data because I'm looking to back it up and then restore it onto a new hard drive so here is my question: Which location should I be consolidation and organizing my files and folders within: "This PC > Relevant Folder or "Local Disk (C:) > Users > Me > Relevant Folder" ?

For backups or general good practice;
make a new files or backup drive and put things there... the idea is to not place things in the c: because that will be formatted when something goes shit-faced.

For easy user data backup it is best to place the user data into a seperate partition. Then you can image that partition and have all your data saved. The folders on the data partition then should be INCLUDED into the corresponding library.

Hi

I personally never use the Library system, I prefer to create my own folders for everything, and my own structure.
But I can see how it would be useful for people who don't have the massive amount of stuff on there PC that I do.

I think by the next time I get a new computer I will be able to leave off all my work and job files going back almost 20 years.
That will help a lot.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom