Windows 7 Folder in use

check the box for know extensions, and show protected operating system files also?

I'll just reply to bump this to the top and hopefully someone will pick up on it.

ive got system files showing,

theres a desktop text files with the folowing inside it -

[.ShellClassInfo]
LocalizedResourceName=@%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll,-21817

That's fine, they appear when you turn on system files.

they can be manipulated in certain ways that MS doesn't like you to know about.

the other probably looks like this:

[.ShellClassInfo]
LocalizedResourceName=@%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll,-21769
IconResource=%SystemRoot%\system32\imageres.dll,-183
[LocalizedFileNames]
One Step Beyond.wma=@%systemroot%\system32\SampleRes.dll,-132

Sorry, the above is from Vista, but I'll try it on Windoiws 7.

If you add the last line to the desktop.ini file your audio files directory, they will appear with no extension at all.

Works with .wma files, not sure about others.

Last edited by a moderator:
K then, so do you have any theories on whats causing this to happen then ?

I cant think of anything, i figured if all processes (besides ones that cant be terminated) are ended in task manager - theres no possible way this could keep happening . So im asuming its something in the os causing it ?

No, as I stated, I am not using the 64-bit edition and that's the only time this (x86) directory shows up.

Couple of questions; Is this a recent install of the OS you're using? ie: the last couple of days? Or have you been using this OS for a week or two?

The reason I ask, is that there was a 'folder permissions' /Access issue on the RC build 7100, but it was quickly detected, and a hot-fix was issued a couple of days after Release date. If you haven't already done so, do a manual search for updates, and see if it's waiting to download (Forgive me if you've already done this, but it could be the answer to your problem)

Couple of questions; Is this a recent install of the OS you're using? ie: the last couple of days? Or have you been using this OS for a week or two?

The reason I ask, is that there was a 'folder permissions' /Access issue on the RC build 7100, but it was quickly detected, and a hot-fix was issued a couple of days after Release date. If you haven't already done so, do a manual search for updates, and see if it's waiting to download (Forgive me if you've already done this, but it could be the answer to your problem)

Ive been using windows 7 for months, automatic updates is on - and currently has no updates available

Ive been using windows 7 for months, automatic updates is on - and currently has no updates available

So, what build are you actually running?, if you've been using Windows 7 "for months" ? Even though Auto Updates often say there's no new updates available, I still check, and often find some there waiting....which is why I suggested a Manual check for updates...

So, what build are you actually running?, if you've been using Windows 7 "for months" ? Even though Auto Updates often say there's no new updates available, I still check, and often find some there waiting....which is why I suggested a Manual check for updates...

How do you check your build. just showing as windows 7 ultimate.
its obvious im not a tech head.

If you look at your Desktop background, and then bottom right, just above the Taskbar, you should see 'Windows 7' Evaluation copy Build (and then the actual build number)

The Release Candidate ( the latest official version 7100) was only made publically available on the 5th May....hence the question.

Are you also absolutely sure you're using the 64bit version?

If you look at your Desktop background, and then bottom right, just above the Taskbar, you should see 'Windows 7' Evaluation copy Build (and then the actual build number)

The Release Candidate ( the latest official version 7100) was only made publically available on the 5th May....hence the question.

Are you also absolutely sure you're using the 64bit version?
build 7000 - im pretty sure its 64, as that is what i chose to download.

build 7000 - im pretty sure its 64, as that is what i chose to download.

Right okay....well time to Download the RC build 7100 then, that will probably sort out the issue, and given that you only have until 1st July before Build 7000 starts to shutdown on you, now's a good time to update yourself. There have been many changes and bugs fixed since 7000.

Right okay....well time to Download the RC build 7100 then, that will probably sort out the issue, and given that you only have until 1st July before Build 7000 starts to shutdown on you, now's a good time to update yourself. There have been many changes and bugs fixed since 7000.
So does this entail downloading 7100 and reinstalling windows7 completely?

So does this entail re-downloading 7100 and reinstalling windows7 completely?

You just told us you have build 7000 installed. So yes, you will need to download the Release Candidate, and yes you will need do a clean installation of Build 7100.

And, by the way, I never said you were Spastic either! Only trying to help you.

There is was no sarcasm nor was anything unfriendly in my posts, try reading my first post....I presumed you knew more than you actually did.

I found the term Spastic offensive tbh... for personal reasons, but didn't rise to it. But I'll spare you anymore postings from me. Good luck!

Back