Free Adaware Anniversary Edition

kemical

Windows Forum Admin
Staff member
Premium Supporter
Lavasoft has released a new Anniversary Edition (AE) of Ad-Aware anti-spyware, including a free version.

Some of it's features could be quite invasive though as well as a resource eater.. It may be worth closing some of the utilities/scanners and TweakGuides.com has a list of whats best to turn off...

I have given it a go and followed the suggestions in TweakGuides. Carrying out a full scan so it should be interesting what the results are.

Just to add to this thread as an update. I've now switched back to the old version as the Anniversary Edition I found to be a pain in the butt! Some, however, may find they have no problem with the utility and I suggest making up your own minds about which to use...

I tried it and it worked ok untill I shut down for the night. When I turned on my pc in the morning I got a blue screen showing a memory dump.....stating that if I have had hardware or software recently installed to uninstall and blah blah blah. I finally had to do system start up repair and then unisntall it. Since then I've not had a problem. So I went back to the old version I had. So for a week now the old program version is doing just fine. I'll keep it like that for now.

I must admit that i totally sympathise... I found the utility to be a real pain (as i said above) and whilst the idea is a good one, the execution could do with some work!

I recently gave this utility another go and was pleasantly surprised. It no longer feels 'buggy' and the taskbar icon doesn't start re-appearing after being disabled.
I now use it in place of the default version and find it works just as good if not better!

Just to add that the 'quick scan' is fast, really fast...

Back