Windows 7 Free AVG is maxing out my cpu any suggestions

confused

My cpu with the dual core although small is usually really quiet especially xp but also windows 7. Installed AVG (needed an av in there) and my cpu is always 65 75 sometimes 100%. Any suggestions. I know windows defender is installed also. Wouldn't that cover the av problem?

I use AntiVir here as well. I tried AVG for a week or so, but it does slow down the machine some.

I have to disagree here.. I use AVG Free Edition on both the 32 bit and 64 bit versions of Windows 7 Beta, and I've not noticed it slowing any of my 3 pc's down at all... perhaps there's another cause for the slowdown on your rig? I only suggest this because I've been using AVG for a few years now on various OS's and various different pc's and never once has it caused any of them to slow down or max out any of the various cpu's... ;)

I have to disagree here.. I use AVG Free Edition on both the 32 bit and 64 bit versions of Windows 7 Beta, and I've not noticed it slowing any of my 3 pc's down at all... perhaps there's another cause for the slowdown on your rig? I only suggest this because I've been using AVG for a few years now on various OS's and various different pc's and never once has it caused any of them to slow down or max out any of the various cpu's... ;)

I believe it is the scheduled scanning that is slowing down the machine. At any rate AntiVir seems to affect my machine less than AVG. AntiVir has one of the best ratings at AV-Comparatives

Most antivirus softwares when they do a scan tend to take up more of the cpu. A recommendation to put the scheduled scan right before you go to bed and set it to auto shutdown when finished. This way you wont be distyrbed by the increase.

are you sure its AVG using all your cpu? click the "resource monitor" button under performance in your task manager to see whats using up all your juice

I've noticed that AVG, while working very well on some systems, absolutely thrashes others. I'm not sure if it's chipset-related or what, but i've had 2 different computers running AVG both on XP even, and it toasted one and not the other... right from clean install. So, if AVG works for you then great, if not... might not be anything you can do about it :)

Back