Windows 8 Freeze when media is inserted

borate

Occasionally, and not immediately repeatable, W8.1 will freeze when a USB flash drive or wireless adapter, camera card or DVD is inserted. There is no keyboard input, mouse pointer is on-screen but dead. Reboot needed. No error message. Event Viewer lists "unexpected shutdown." There were incidents of this in W7 as well (same hardware). BIOS setting?

Circa late 2011: I7 2600K, GTX 650, 8Mb RAM, latest BIOS

Your thoughts welcomed.

Have you updated your BIOS? When installing 8/8.1, MS recommends that you flash your BIOS to that most current version if available for system stability.

Yes, latest BIOS, as noted. That seems to have helped a freeze issue that occurred when 8.1 was idle, but the system still halts on occasion when media is inserted in various USB, optical or card drives.

Ah...I missed the BIOS...looked right past that part...old age. What's the make and model of your computer?

What's the make and model of your computer?

It's custom. ASUS P8P67le motherboard/American Megatrends.

Thanks to Joe S. for the USB link. This isn't exclusively a USB problem, occurring also with insertion of
CF cards and optical media. Happens infrequently, but annoyingly. Total system halt. Frozen screen.

I suspect a hardware/BIOS issue, and vaguely recall it began when this system was placed into service. Likely
never will get to the bottom of it, before the next upgrade. ^_^

Last edited:
Back