Windows 7 Fresh install

weekendcriminal

Apologies if I'm p[osting this in the wrong place, but I would be really gratful for any help you might be able to offer me.

I'm currently running Windows 7 professional on my laptop. I purchased it as an upgrade from the digital river ultimate steal site last year.

I now need to do a fresh install as my laptop isn't behaving as I want it to, but have no idea how or where to start.

I have a copy of the file that I used to upgrade saved on a USB drive and my Vista back-up discs that I made when I purchased my laptop, and I have the windows 7 key, and probably the Vista one if I search throught the paperwork that came with my laptop.

I also purchased office 2007 from digital river and have no idea how I can download this again as there is no option to download after 30 days have commenced. Althoguh I do have a note of the licence key and receipts for office and windows 7.

Technically there's no difference to the upgrade and retail copy, barring the licencing restrictions... So you should be able to reinstall using the custom clean install however you may have to physically phone MS to activate it, as opposed to online activation as the serial may not work... As for your office licence it should be a simple email to the online vendor to get a new DL link for it.

More information:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Installing-and-reinstalling-Windows-7

Last edited:
Thanks for the fast reply.

Will I be able to do this form a USB drive?

Do you think MS will redirect me to somewhere that I can redownload office 07 too. I have all of my receipts ect so providing them won't be a problem. I'm just not as computer literate as I'd like to be, and don't really know where to start.

if the USB file is bootable and shows the windows installer then its should do, yes. Just try booting from it before you do anything else, and if loads up to the windows installer quit/reset then your'e sorted. As for MS providing a link to Office, they might on proof of purchase although the original store should be first contact.

if you could post a screen grab of the USB content (use windows snipper tool) or list what the filenames are it might help to see if you'll need to burn them to a dvd or not.

I can do that when I get home. I'm posting from a work pc at the moment. It was just an upgrade download so I don't know if I will be able to make it into anything (I probably won't know how either)

I called Microsoft and they have sent me a link for office, but insist that iI have to install vista and then upgrade windows 7 again which seems a bit silly.

Thanks for all of you help. I'll see if my girlfriend is at home and can find out the file info for me.

well as I mentioned the upgrade licence does outline that, mainly cos they retire the old OS licence key to upgrade it, hence the lower price of upgrade...

well thats not a dealbreaker, if you have the licence key and proof of purchase you should be able to get a link from MS to download the ISO.

Back