Windows 10 Going back to Windows 8.1

Ken McDunn

I used the display driver uninstaller, and installed the latest AMD drivers. I also tested RAM, which passed. Things seemed to go well, but then BSOD returned with a vengeance. Sadly, I had to revert back to Windows 8.1. It was simply too disruptive and time consuming to have to deal with. Maybe I will just buy a new Windows 10 machine. Not today, though.
Oddly enough, I have two machines which have suffered no issues from the upgrade to Window 10: a Lenovo Flex 10 netbook and an old Dell. Although, the Dell went from a fairly fresh, clean install of Windows 7 to Windows 10, and the Lenovo came stock with Windows 8.

Attachments

• W7F_17-09-2015.zip
    1.7 MB · Views: 326
Code:
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 1A, {3f, 843d, 99228290, ad04e9aa}

Probably caused by : memory_corruption ( nt!MiValidatePagefilePageHash+285 )

Followup: MachineOwner
---------
Hi,
I assume these dump files were from your recent windows 10 install?

In any case almost all the dump files were like the above apart from one. Did you run the driver verifier at some point? If so it caught an errant driver namely:
FAMv4.sys Tue Oct 27 00:37:09 2009: This has something to do with VisionWorks?
VisionWorks Solutions Inc. - Knowledge Base

The main bugchecks are for bad RAM and so it's possible that either the driver was at the root of the issue or failing RAM. I know you said you tested the RAM and it passed but what did you test with?
Windows does have a memory testing app but it can miss errors and the best app for the job is Memtest86.
If you open the link below you'll see you can run Memtest86 in two ways. You can either burn it to disk or install it onto a USB drive it's entirely up to you. You'll then need to enter the bios to change the boot order so you can boot from either the Disk or USB stick you have Memtest86 on.
You must test for at least 12 hours unless it becomes obvious there is a problem straight away (you'll see errors outlined in red.
Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

Back
Top Bottom